Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Rustic Bridal Shower: Spring 2014

 Submitted by Linda
If you know how many pins I have on pinterest, you may be surprised to know that I've only been a 'pinner' for just over a year. I started back in June 2103 by searching "kindergarten classroom",  and now checking my feed on pinterest is a fun daily ritual.  

I have always enjoyed planning parties, but now it is even more fun to have pinterest as a resource! My task was to host a bridal shower for my teaching friend Alisha, who's engagement to Alex happened in Mammoth during an annual family fishing and camping trip. I felt a 'rustic' theme coming on, so I copied the vibe of her 'save the date' cards, using the woodgrain embossing folder with a heart.
 My next step was to enlist the help of my niece, Kyan, who you may remember from her rustic wedding. Click HERE to see all of her cute details. Since her wedding, she has opened an Etsy store to sell her handmade banners and other homespun projects. Click HERE to visit her Etsy store!
 Next up, menu planning. The shower was held after school, so light snacks were all that were needed. I tried several different s'mores cookie recipes before I decided on this one (it has chocolate chips in the cookie, along with graham cracker crumbs)!
I also discovered these darling cupcakes, decorated with a pretzel fishing pole complete with a fishy cracker on the line. What I learned in this process is that I MUST learn how to pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Mine are not nearly as pretty as the pinterest version.
For me, decor is a big part of a successful party (though I'm not opposed to an impromptu gathering now and again). Philosophically, attention to detail, like setting a pretty table, should be one of the 'five love languages'. Nothing makes me feel more welcome than knowing that my arrival at a party was excepted and anticipated. This is something I would like my guests to feel, anytime they walk through the front doors of my home. 

What could be more welcoming than vintage thermoses with the trademark plaid design? I hit up my antiquing pal, Liz, to borrow hers.
I also enlisted a helper to create the cute twiggy dip container, shown in the center of the photo below. After a windstorm that left bunches of branches on the ground early in the spring, I gathered a pile of them up with that project in mind. When my friend Nancy offered to help with the shower, I promptly sent her the pin (of the idea) and loaded the pile of twigs into her car. LOL!

The tiny red lantern was a fun Pier 1 find, and the log slices were courtesy of Craig. Pictured below is the entire tablescape, complete with a fishing rod (holding the banner) and a net that was shared for the party by the bride's mom, Debbie.
In addition to the sweets, veggies and dip, 'bait' and 'rainbow trout', I added the little 'pigs in a blanket' with homemade sweet hot mustard. Who doesn't love a hot dog on a campout?  I've found the that little pigs (crescent roll dough and little smokies) are a hit at any party, especially for the guys.
My stamp club friends insisted that I prepare a take-home treat. I found this printable 's'mores to go' tag and added it to a cello bag full of marshmallows, chocolate, kettle corn, and graham cereal. My friend Patti assembled these for me.
 Here's the bride and me after she arrived at the party. Yes, I am wearing a school T-shirt because the party was on a Wednesday, which is 'spirit day'.
This beautiful picture is Alisha and her mom, after the gifts. I love their smiles!
 Somehow, I realized that I had a bunch of extra green hearts from making the invitations. So this summer, I created a stack of coordinating 'thank you' notes for the bride. Because, what bride doesn't need 'thank you' notes?
 The wedding is coming quickly, in mid-August. It will be such a happy day!

To see all of my pins and the recipes, click HERE.

2 comments:

Liz Leahy said...

What a fabulous party! You are so very creative!

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful Linda! You did a great job.
Paula