Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Watermelon Cross Stitch Up-Cycling

Submitted by Linda
So now that I've become a stitcher, I realize the time and love that go into hand stitched projects. I also have realized how I often in my younger days I asked my mom to stitch things up for me without realizing how much time was involved.

Back in the day (1996, as pictured below), at my request my mom stitched me the cutest watermelon design onto a sweatshirt. You can't see the design very well, but the picture gives you an idea of the era. This was on an anniversary trip to the Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo.   
I've since learned about stitching on something other than cross stitch fabric and using waste canvas. It's a giant pain in the neck! So I owe my mom and apology or a 'thank you' or both.

As time passed, I got a stain on the sweatshirt, and it began to form those little balls from wear, so I gave it back to her because I couldn't bear to give it to Goodwill after all of her work.  At which point she stored it for a year. Or two. Or ten.

Recently, we decided it should be made into a pillow, so we picked out some fabric and seam binding, and set it aside until we had time to work on it together.

Earlier this week, I went over to my parents' place to stitch and look what I found!
I love, love, love it! It's even cuter as a pillow than it was as a sweatshirt. And it perfectly fits my happy-country-homey kitchen vibe. (And I'm so happy I didn't have to wrangle the sewing machine to get it done. Thank you Mother dear!)

2 comments:

Goosegirl said...

I love it!!! That is a beautiful cross stitch. It must have taken her forever because it is so bog and gorgeous. It is a beautiful pillow too.
Oh, and I love the Apple Farm!!

Carrie said...

What an awesome idea!!!! You girls think of everything! It's so pretty!