Monday, September 16, 2013

Tooth Fairy Pocket and a Bit More Hungry Caterpillar

 Submitted by Linda
When I posted the Kindergarten Classroom Upgrade, featuring Eric Carle's Hungry Caterpillar, I forgot to share the coordinating apron that we made. In case you're wondering, the food fabric is a big pocket for my keys, phone, and other 'teacher stuff'. Here it is:
But, onto other things. In the past, I've given my kindergarten students a little tooth pocket made of felt to commemorate the first tooth lost while in kindergarten. It was pretty lame - a white felt tooth pocket, glued together, with a face drawn on with a Sharpie. But the kids loved it. In fact, if they were a late bloomer and didn't lose any teeth until first grade, they would come back for a visit and to get their tooth pocket.

So a couple of weeks ago (as the beginning of school was approaching), I asked a sewing friend if she had a fancy machine that could embroidery faces on 24 teeth. No such luck. I had pinned a darling tooth from Etsy, that cost $12, and looked something like this:
 I showed the pin to my mom, to get her input, and she said (as she has said to me on many occasions), "We could whip them up so fast your eyes would spin!"

So off I went to JoAnn's. With my coupons, I ended up spending under $4 to get a big chunk of white felt and a couple of small pieces of the colors. I had the tiny black eye beads on hand, as well as the embroidery floss.

We got to work, and cranked them out in about a week. Here's the back, with the pocket:
 As we finished more, we piled them together in a little 'chorus line'. Aren't they cute?

I took them to school and pinned a few onto my tooth graph.
And today I was able to give away my very first one!


1 comment:

Andrea, said...

These are so cute! I want to make them for my kids when they have a loose tooth so they have somewhere to put it. :)