Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Carolinas: Travel Journal #1

 Submitted by Linda
You may remember me mentioning my friend Liz who is a smartie when it comes to her job (theological librarian and professor), stamping, cooking, quilting and antiquing. We have had lots of fun over the years, crafting together.  Here is the only picture we have from our trip, a selfie taken at the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston:
Years ago I discovered that Liz is an adventurer. When she attends an out-of-town conference for work, she allows time on either end of the conference to tool around the backroads of towns, sightseeing and hitting all the hot spots for antiques and quilting fabrics.  This sounded so fun to me, since Craig is not too much into stopping here and there when we travel. (You know how most men are - like a homing pigeon, intently headed for their destination). So I mentioned in passing that I would love to join Liz someday on one of her adventures.

I think it was this past February, when I got a facebook message from Liz, about a "wild idea" that she had.  Now, how "wild" do you think a theological librarian and a kindergarten teacher can get? Well, the"wild idea" was for me to meet Liz in Charlotte, NC, following her conference, and then hit the road together. 

Since last year Craig went to Majorca, Spain, and was headed to Israel this spring, he was happy (translation: felt guilty enough) to support my getting out of my 2 mile radius here in C-Mont. 

My boys and Craig are big fans of Guy Fieri's food network show "Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins". Once I had my reservation, it seemed the guys were calling me to come out to the man-cave to take a look at a segment being shown about a restaurant in the Carolinas. 

So I did my own research, and came up with a list of places that would be fun to make a stop at. On day one, after arriving at about 1 am the night before from a long day of flying, we headed out to start our adventure. Around noontime, our first DDD stop was the Bar-B-Q King in Charlotte, NC.
 The Bar-B-Q King was in an industrial (translation "not so nice") section of town, but I trusted Guy, so we pulled in. The last time I ate at a real 'drive in' restaurant was at the old school A&W restaurants when I was very young.  Here's the menu:
 We both had the pulled pork sandwich, with onion rings, and it was all yummity yum!  The novelty of being served in the car was fun, too.
 Our next stop, was the Antique Depot in Charlotte, where we tried to 'save the world by buying vintage goodness'.
 I bought a couple of things there, one being this 'W'.  Michelle is looking for a 'W' for her wall of frames and mirrors, so I sent her this pic, to show her the size compared to my foot. She said 'no thank you', because she really wants black, but since 'W's are hard to find, I got this one for me.
Our destination was Asheville, home of the Vanderbilts and the Biltmore Estate, but on the way we made our dinner stop at Cracker Barrel. Now, you haters out there may say this is a glorified Denny's as you see tons of these off of the highway exits. But they have a cute, homey ambience and good ol' home cookin'.
 The front of each restaurant always sports a long line of these rockers, for folks to sit in or buy.
The menu is about the farthest thing from Weight Watchers you can find, and they probably haven't heard of California cuisine. But the reuben sandwich pictured below (with mashies substituted for fries) was Uh-may-zing.
Each Cracker Barrel restaurant also has a cute little gift shop in it, with vintage candies, bbq stuff, tshirts, and redneck stuff.
I'm embarrassed to say how many times we ate there during our week away, but suffice it to say, I got my fill of mashies and gravy.

Stay tuned for Travel Journal #2: Asheville!


2 comments:

Carrie said...

Cracker Barrell is one of my fav places to shop & eat! And, I miss it very much!

Carrie said...

And, your trip looks like it was so much fun! You girls covered a lot of ground; I like that!