Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Remnants of the Past in SLO: The Prequel Part II

Submitted by Linda
Let me start by saying that the Remnants of the Past show was utterly charming and wonderful.  Couple that with the cute town of SLO, the gorgeous scenery, the pretty wineries, and it's definitely worth the drive.

After we parked in the grassy lot, we paid our admission (a $10 donation to the United Way) at this little trailer with the cute awning.
Here's a view of the same trailer with the expo center in the background. The booths were outdoors and in a large room indoors, and totaled about 70 vendors.
I snapped pictures here and there so ya'll could see what was there to look at and buy.
Things were very shabby, in fact, Michelle and Teri saw Rachel Ashwell, author and originator of the term 'shabby chic', shopping there. We saw lots of glass domes, pillows made of old flour sacks, lots of french and french inspired items.
The booth pictured below offered all types of vintage camping and outdoor stuff. We loved the s'mores display and the tiny knitted bees hanging from the twigs.
My taste runs a bit more to an Americana vibe, with a little less 'shabby', but the displays were so clever and interesting.

I loved the flower-laden old wheelbarrow. I have Tommy's old trike in our back yard and like this wheelbarrow, it looks very worn and well used. Maybe I like 'shabby' more than I thought!
We didn't eat there, but this guy brought his pizza oven on wheels and was making pizzas on the spot! So clever.
Each of the other girls bought some larger items, so they had to drop them off at the 'porter station' for safekeeping while they continued shopping.  Here they are at the end of the day, trying to retrieve all of their treasures.
And then loading the treasures into the hotel, along with purchased bubble wrap to transport everything back home.
Prior to bubble-wrapping, we had a little fun laying out Michelle's mirrors, just to be sure she didn't need to get a few more.





















As for what I bought, here goes:
Music shredded for gift wrapping (you know how I love shred in a cello bag), some bakers twine that has gold and silver spun through, and some old french marching band music. I think I have the music for every instrument in the band, but alas, I will be chopping it up for card making.
I got super excited when I found these mason jar cloches. I could hardly wait to get my cash out and pay the vendor.  They are now sitting on my kitchen table with a tiny vase full of eensy weensy American flags.
I stocked up on these cute bags. You may remember that I used these for delivering Valentines Day cookies.
I waffled a bit before I made this next purchase. I found this darling, perfect handbag at the very first booth I entered. It's made of everything old - even the strap is a repurposed belt! I loved the needlepointed girl (her name is Jessica Violet), the red rick rack, the rosy fabric...and the polka dotted lining (which you can't see in the picture). She was a bit spendy, but as a fan of unique and interesting purses, I knew I would really enjoy carrying this girl around. She also has a few little crystals on the flowers to give a tiny bit of bling. I didn't meet the artist, Melody Elizabeth, but you can check out her wares HERE.
I have one more vendor and purchase to share with you, but it deserves a post all it's own. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Such fun!!! Love that I am able to re-live this experience all over again thru your photos and wonderful recap! Thanks for sharing-