Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy Anniversary!

Submitted by Michelle
David and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary yesterday.  He gave me the card in the photo above and I thought it was mighty appropriate given we are vacationing at the beach.  

Prior to our vacation I wracked my brain trying to think of a gift to give him. In my opinion, buying presents for men is difficult, especially if said man is a techie who doesn't care much about music, fashion or sports.  One unique thing about David is that he has a degree from the CIA (the Culinary Institute of America, not the Central Intelligence Agency.)  He also mentioned that he wanted to eat Thai food while we were on vacation.  With the help of Yelp, I found True Taste of Thai.  

True Taste of Thai is a home cooking program run by Krongtong Na Songkhla a.k.a. Krong.  Krong is a native of Thailand and she went to Culinary School there.  She also earned her MBA at the University of Michigan.  She lives in San Marcos now, with her husband and son, and runs her own cooking school business. The approach is very straight forward. You chose a menu from her website and for a fee, she comes to your home with all the ingredients for the dishes and teaches you to cook them.
Krong, David and a piece of lemongrass.
For our meal we learned to prepare a salad, soup and fried rice. Preparation was the key to the cooking.  There was much chopping and sauce making to be done prior to actually cooking the meal.  
David expertly slices onion.
David has better knife skills than me, and the present was for him, so I let him do most of the work while I took photos and asked questions.  

As we chopped ingredients, Krong put them on a plate or in a bowl in an organized fashion so that we wouldn't get confused when cooking.  
Yum Nuea - a cucumber and mint salad waiting for grilled beef to top it off.
Everything we needed to make Tom Kha Kai, sweet and sour coconut soup with mushrooms and chicken.
David's favorite: Kao Pad Kai aka Thai Fried Rice.
Once all the ingredients were prepped, it didn't take more than 15 minutes to cook the meal.  The soup was made first so that it could sit for a few minutes and let all the flavors marry together. 
Then came the fried rice.  

Finally, David grilled the marinated sirloin steak and sliced it.  We added it to the salad and tossed everything with the dressing.
 Our meal was complete and the 2 happy chefs were ready to eat!
We throughly enjoyed our time with Krong and couldn't have been happier with the food.  It was fresh and authentic, and now we know how to cook it at home.  Not to toot my own horn, but I think I should get 3 Michelin Stars for this year's anniversary present.  This one will be hard to top.  Oh well, at least I have 364 more days to think about it.  

1 comment:

Teri said...

YUMMMMMMMM!!! I expect a front row seat at a second seating soon! Congrats on your anniversary and a super duper present selection!