Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Work In Progress

Submitted by Michelle
Recently I've been working on re-decorating the master bedroom in our home.  I felt like it was time to move on from the "post-college Ikea" look to something more finished and mature.  (Not that there is anything wrong with Ikea furniture.) For over a year I've been dreaming of purchasing this bed from Crate & Barrel.  
Me and my budget were finally ready for the purchase so David and I went off to Pasadena one weekend in May to see it in person and look for some bedside tables as well.  We ended up getting the bed, a matching bench, and two tables that aren't necessarily night stands but work well with the modern vibe I was going for in the bedroom.




Throw in a little bedding from Pottery Barn and viola, we had ourselves a new room!
The next dilemma was how to decorate the wall space above the bed.  I drew inspiration from good ol' Pinterest and last weekend went on the hunt for vintage mirrors and frames at Remnants of the Past, an antique show and vintage market, in San Luis Obispo.
Me and my pals Linda, Carrie and Teri made it a girls weekend.  We stopped for lunch at Brophy Brothers, my favorite seafood restaurant in Santa Barbara, and then traveled up the coast to San Luis Obispo.
On Saturday we were up bright and early.  Armed with our admission bracelets we were off to find bargains and treasures.
I wasn't expecting to purchase much on our trip, but as is par for the course, I ended up being the one to find the most things.  I ended up with 7 mirrors and 4 frames, along with an antique clock alarm clock from France.  Somehow we fit everything into the back of Carrie's Kia.
Yesterday Teri came over and helped me decided how to arrange everything.  Then, in the evening, Carrie and her husband Sam came over to help hang all my purchases.  I'm really pleased with how the wall turned out.  I've got room to add more frames or mirrors over time and I feel like I've finally got a grown up room. 
Next weekend our new dresser and lamps arrive.  Stay tuned for photos!  

3 comments:

Teri said...

LOVE IT!!! Looks wonderful! Your gallery wall was truly a group effort with many good memories included!

Susan R said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

So calming and cool looking ! Sounds like you had fun shopping.