Sunday, March 10, 2013

Better Late Than Never

 Submitted by Linda
One thing I learned while hanging out with Craig at the hospital is that the days that you are there seem to have never existed in the real world. It still feels like we lost a couple of weeks of our life.  So, I realize that in just 4 days, it will be a month since Valentine's Day. Since I'm still playing catch-up, here I am posting Valentines stuff.

I purchased some of these cute CUTE polka dotty bags long before Christmas with the intent to you them in February for Valentine's treats. Then in January, I saw this uh-may-zing sample at Collective Journey in Redlands.  Each of those tiny cupcake pieces are cut with a die and layered on the bag. So darling, but I decided to go with a 'less is more' approach.
I followed Barbara Cheatley's lead and used a doily. (Have you ever been to her store in Claremont? If the answer is 'no', then you are missing out! She always will giftwrap a purchase for you and she always uses a doily!) I added a layer of vintagey valentine paper and a big heart tag. Though it may not have the 'Wow factor' of the sample above, I think it's charming (if I do say so myself).
What went in the bags? Our family-favorite sugar cookie. I used my biggest heart cookie cutter and lots of pink frosting.
The serendipitous thing about the timing was that I prepared the bags over my long weekend and delivered them to my kindergarten colleagues and secretaries on Tuesday the 12th. On the 13th, Craig and I were hospital bound, not to return to my regular school life until February 25th.

I had also made some to deliver to my big boys, which I popped into the freezer. At some point I'm going to bust them out, frost them, and deliver them.  Thankfully, college boys aren't going to care that Valentine's has come and gone, as long as they get the cookies!

No comments: