Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pecan Wedges with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream

Submitted by Linda
You may remember that I'm one of those people who yank recipes out of magazines and rarely try them. Now that I cook for my parents every other Monday night, I've forced them to be the guinea pigs for some of my (disappointing) experiments. This one, however is a winner.

I love pecans, but I don't love the filling that comes in a traditional pecan pie. I always wish for more pecans and less filling. And though I am a giant fan of carbs, pie crust is one thing I usually leave behind on my plate (weird, I know). 

This recipe creates a lovely wedge of pecans, with enough goo to hold it all together. It's very rich, and a little wedge does the job.
Making the sweet goo was super simple on the stovetop.
Now it's ready:
I'm embarrassed to say that I've never used a springform pan prior to trying this recipe. And yes, I'm going to need my own now!

All baked and ready to be cut:
Trust me, this wedge is too big. It is so rich and nutty, you or your guests won't be able to eat a piece this big!
  
Here are the leftovers. I little taste here, a little bite there.....Yum!
Here's the recipe courtesy of Real Simple Magazine, December 2007.


Pecan Wedges with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream

Ingredients:

  • 1/2  cup  granulated sugar
  • 3  tablespoons  brown sugar
  • 1/4  cup  light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2  cups  heavy cream
  • 1  tablespoon  dark rum or pure vanilla extract (I used vanilla)
  • 1/8  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 3 1/2  cups pecans, roughly chopped

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 375° F.
  2. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment or wax paper.
  3. In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, the corn syrup, and 1/2 cup of the cream. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rum, salt, and pecans. Pour into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
  4. Bake until golden and set, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing into wedges.
  5. Whip the remaining cream and brown sugar until soft peaks form. Serve with the Pecan Wedges.

No comments: