Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Walking in a Winter Wonderland!

Submitted by Linda
I have learned my lesson for once and for all. Throughout the years, I have mentioned that I have a love/hate relationship with sewing on a machine. Over the years, I have sewed pjs for the boys,  craft projects and window treatments, with some success. Knowing how I love quilts, I decided to try my hand at a bit of quilting this past summer. 

Last Christmas, I received a quilt pattern with embroidery patterns for the most darling snow scenes. My mom and I got right to work, each of us embroidering a different scene to eventually be made into holiday table runners. When the embroidery was done, we sat down to figure out a 'simple' pieced border with the help of my friend Liz, who is a wonderful quilter.

Here's a picture of my mom during the summer, when we were working on piecing the borders. At the bottom of the photo, you can see our patterns sketched onto graph paper, and a bit of the piecing.
My design is a 9-patch, with snowflakes in the corners.  The challenging part of this project is cutting strips carefully, stitching them together carefully, and then discovering that the squares don't align. I was talking with my friend Carla (another accomplished quilter) about this, sharing my frustration with these miniscule measurements and how, despite my best efforts, the seams didn't line up.
 Now, I'll admit this was my first quilting project, so I definitely have room for improvement. However, the attention to detail and the thrill of doing whatever it takes to make a project come together with near perfection, is something Carla thrives on. For me, I've learned that I will enjoy my many other hobbies and will coerce my friends who enjoy the detailed focus of sewing to do it for me!

Below, you can see the darling embroidery panel, and my 9-patches, beginning to be stitched together.

Once our panels were finished, we needed a 'long arm' quilter to quilt around the design. This time we called on Carla, who does long-arm quilting as a business, to work her magic. Shown below, is my mom's project, pinned onto the large machine. If you look closely, you can see the white whimsical stitching around the embroidery: swirls and stars and trees, oh my! And don't we just love the snowlady hanging her candy canes on the line?
Here you can see more of the details of the quilting:
And what's not to love about the gold stars hanging on the tree?
And now a close up of mine: more swirls and trees!

And here it is, finally complete! The truth be told, I love it, flaws in all. Even as I type, it happily lies across my big kitchen table, where I will admire it every time I walk by, and where it will be whisked away the second that one of my boys walks in to eat anything.
So, I'm done with my sewing machine for a long while. Even Carla (who like Rachel Lynde of Anne of Green Gables, "prides herself in speaking the truth"), told me to 'stick with embroidery'. And I am more than happy to oblige.

1 comment:

Goosegirl said...

I love it! Linda, it is truly beautiful!