Saturday, August 4, 2012

Peach Crostata

Submitted by Linda
In mid July we were lucky to take a vacation at Newport Beach. Throughout my kids' early years, we went every summer for a week. Since we hadn't gone in 6 or 7 years, we decided it was time create some new memories.

We always have planned our week based on what and where we wanted to eat, and this year was no different. Our menu included grilled salmon and seared ahi, tacos, and Korean BBQ.

I had stopped at the farmers market on my way, and had bought peaches, which were quickly becoming ripe. I decided to make a pie, but alas, the beach house had no pie pan. (The kitchen was really stocked quite well - I'm guessing most beach vacationers don't put pie-baking at the top of their beach bucket list!)

Well, I had brought down a pile of magazines and remembered seeing this recipe in my Good Housekeeping mag.
The recipe uses minimal ingredients and though I hadn't brought my jar of ginger (who would, after all?), I was happy to buy a teaspoon for 10 cents in the bulk spice section at Sprouts (This is a good resource when you're trying a new recipe and don't want to end up with an entire jar of a spice you may never use). So we cut....
...and placed them in the crust and folded it over. My favorite upgrade is to brush on a paste made out of sugar and orange juice (or lemonade) to make the crust shiny and crunchy.
Out of the oven, ready to cut!
Beautiful! This turned out as nice as any pie I've made, and was lovely served warm with vanilla bean ice cream.
Peach Crostata from Good Housekeeping Magazine
(This recipe makes one crostata -double the peach mixture and use both pie crusts, as shown in my pictures!)

Ingredients:
1
pound(s) peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
3
tablespoon(s) brown sugar
1
tablespoon(s) cornstarch
1/8
teaspoon(s) ground ginger
1
pinch(s) salt
1
refrigerated and ready-to-use pie crust, for 9-inch pie

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. In large bowl, toss peaches with brown sugar, cornstarch, ground ginger, and salt.
  3. Unroll pie crust on cookie sheet.
  4. Arrange peach mixture on crust, leaving 2-inch border; fold border over filling. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

No comments: