Friday, July 13, 2012

Zucchini Relish

Submitted by Linda
A pioneer woman I am not. Yet every summer, my parents make their delicious zucchini relish, which doesn't taste at all like zucchini, and has a 'bread and butter pickle' vibe. I decided I ought to know how, so shortly after school was out, I spent two days at their house learning the magic. All I can say is that I'm grateful I live in a day where the grocery store is accessible!

Day one: Grind all the zucchini through the grinder. Next it goes in a big bowl in a salt brine to sit overnight.
Day 2: Rinse the zucchini in small batches and squeeze out all the liquid. This took awhile. My dad and I had to take turns to give our arm muscles a break!
Next we combine spices and sugar and vinegar and bring it to a boil.
Add the zucchini and bell pepper, and cook for 30 minutes. At this point, our air conditioned kitchen seemed hot to me. That's when my parents reminded me that my grandma usually canned quarts and quarts of fruit in the 'summer kitchen', which was outdoors in the humid Nebraska summer. I immediately quit complaining.
Jars are sterilized and ready!
All done! Mission accomplished!

No comments: