Friday, July 20, 2012

Southern Strawberry Cake

Submitted by Michelle
My name is Michelle and I'm a chocoholic. I love all things chocolate.  The darker, the better.   When it comes to desserts, I'm sure you can guess which way I lean 99% of the time.  However, I saw this recipe for a Southern Strawberry Cake on one of my favorite food blogs and had to give it a try, despite it containing no chocolate at all.

I'm a little ashamed to admit these photos are from 10 months ago.  I always meant to write about this cake but haven't gotten around to it until now. Anyway, since it is summer and berries are in season and readily available, here goes.
The recipe starts with a simple strawberry puree, made in the food processor, which is added to cake batter made from all the usual suspects: sugar, butter, flour, oil, buttermilk, etc.
 The strawberries turn the batter a lovely shade of pink with little red flecks.  
A basic cream cheese frosting is used on the cake, but strawberry preserves are added to it to amp up the flavor and make it match the cake.
This cake stand Linda gave me a few years back is perfect for frosting and presenting the cake.
The cake is quite elegant, I think, and tasted as good as it looked.  
I highly recommend this cake.  It is sweet, but not cloying, and would make the perfect addition to any summer dinner table.  The only thing that might improve it would be the addition of chocolate chips to the cake batter or chocolate shavings on top (or both)!



No comments: