Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Little Lucy

Submitted by Michelle

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Ted Geisel (a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)

I've been doing a lot of crying lately. My dog Lucy died at the end of March and her absence has left a kind of hole in my heart. I always thought my husband, David, would be the one who would take it the hardest when we lost one of our dogs, but I was wrong.

We adopted Lucy in June of 2005. For seven years she was my constant companion. Where ever I went, she wanted to be there, too. That's probably the biggest thing I miss now that she is gone.
Full of energy and spunk, she was a great little walker, even with her short legs.
She was good at snuggling and sun bathing.
And she really enjoyed relaxing in bed on Saturday mornings with me.
Lucy was most definitely my dog, and she was very protective of me. Linda's boys called her Lucifer because she always barked at them whenever they came near. David jokingly nicknamed her Osama Bin Lucy because she was such a little dictator, always pushing our other dog Zoe out of the way so she could have the prime snuggle spot on my lap or the fluffiest doggie bed in the house. But I called her Lucy or Lucy Bell or Lu-Lu, and to me she was the most precious thing. She came into my life when I realized I wouldn't be having a child of my own, and she helped me get through that difficult time.
We didn't realize Lucy was sick, and by the time we found out, it was too late. She would have turned seven today.
Shortly after Lucy died, my friend Teri gave me a rosebush called "Angel Face." David planted it in our garden for me and it is a wonderful way for me to have a daily remembrance of my dog.

At first I thought it was silly to cry so much over a dog, but then my friend Maggie reminded me that it doesn’t matter the species, it was a relationship. I’ve come to realize she’s right. Relationships come in all shapes and sizes. When I think about the front row of my life and who is sitting in the center seats I smile, knowing Lucy is in one of them, wagging her tail and cheering me on.



5 comments:

denab said...

Beautifully written friend and so true! I understand exactly what you are saying...and my heart hurts for you. Hang in there and know that with time it will get easier. You will one day be able to do a very similar relationship with another little precious "person"... Love the picture of Lucy in bed...I have lots like that of my Ruby! A dachshund's personality is so amazingly funny and quirky ... :)

Carrie said...

Such a nice story about Lucy...she was a sweet lil baby dog. I miss her too! She will always be in your heart!

Keith England said...

So sorry you have lost your cute little dogie companion.
A loyal loving dog really is a great gift.

paupau said...

I am sorry to hear about your loss of your dog Lucy. My family and I went through the same thing last August, when our dog Sammie passed away. He was given to my son on Valentine's Day 12 years ago (instead of a baby brother) You never imagine how much a loss of a pet will really effect you. I know how you feel...trust me. We still have a wreath hanging in our yard on the dod run in his honor.

Margaret said...

I'm sorry to hear about Lucy. We also have a dachshund and I can't imagine life without her. We agreed unexpectedly to watch her overnight until she "found a home" and she won our hearts! She can also be a barker and little dictator. The photos of Lucy are beautiful and I hope it gets easier. I'm sure she is wagging her tail from the front row, and maybe also barking a little!