Monday, March 12, 2012

White Chicken Enchiladas

Submitted by Linda
This recipe was given to me when our boys were little, and it has become a 'comfort food' standby at our house. When I make some, I usually double it (or triple it) and put some in the freezer. They freeze beautifully.

The recipe calls for cooked chicken, so I often put a bunch of chicken in my crock pot, and then use it for different dishes or salads throughout the week.

Last week I took dinner to a young mommy who's husband was out of town, and this recipe was my choice, hoping that her little ones would enjoy it. (I like to have throwaway aluminum pans on hand for occasions like this, so that folks don't have to return a dish to me).

Here are the enchiladas, assembled and ready to bake. You will notice half has green onions: I know that my kids never liked finding anything green in their food. So one side is onion-free, as indicated on the top.
Here it is, fresh out of the oven, all cheesy goodness. I usually served it with refried beans and a salad, with sour cream for topping.
White Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe is for a 8x8 pan, but I was able to fill the 8x12 cake pan shown above. Double for a 9x13 pan.

Ingredients:
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1/2 pint (1 cup) sour cream (and extra for topping, if you like)
1/4 cup green taco sauce
chopped green onion
2 oz. chopped diced green chilis
flour tortillas
approximately 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions: Mix first five ingredients to make sauce. Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Place chicken, sauce, and cheese in the middle of a tortilla, and roll. Placed rolled tortillas, seam side down, in 8x8 pan. Spread remaining sauce and more cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes, until bubbly.

5 comments:

Gail said...

do the chilies go inside the tortillas or over the top?
i'm making it tomorrow night!

Gail said...

do the chilies go inside the tortillas?

Gail said...

do the chilies go inside the tortillas or on top?

Gail said...

do the chilies go inside the tortillas or on top?

Gail said...

sorry, linda. it kept asking me to prove i'm not a robot and i kept posting the same thing over and over!