Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cancer Fighting Soup

Submitted by Michelle
Somehow I've ended up with a subscription to Martha Stewart Magazine. Several years ago I stopped magazine subscriptions all together. I find that magazines stress me out. They come in the mail, they pile up around the house, and they cause me to feel guilty because I rarely find time to read them, but I can't throw them out until they are read (or so I think) so the piles become bigger and bigger. A few summers ago I experienced the freedom of taking an gigantic stack of unread magazines and throwing them into the recycling bin. It was then that I decided to rid my life of the magazine clutter. However, Martha seems to have crept back in and I'm not sure how. I think I got a year's subscription for free. I'm letting her stay for the time being, and over the Christmas break I was able to read the November, December and January issues that came in the mail.

Since adopting the "We Don't Have to Live Like This" motto with Linda, I have found that as I peruse magazines it is much easier to tear out pages that I find interesting, rather than folding down the corner and saving the entire magazine for a later date. That way, I can file the interesting article or recipe or idea, and then throw the bulk of the magazine away. One recent tear out, was the recipe for a Cauliflower and Kale soup.
The ingredients (kale, cauliflower, garlic, onion and dill) don't appear to be a combination for culinary home run. However, the end result is surprisingly delightful.
The procedure is simple. Saute the garlic and onion in olive oil. Throw in some salt for flavor and to help the onion release it juices.
Add the cauliflower and some water, and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
When the cauliflower is tender, add in the dill and kale. I threw in some red pepper flakes for extra heat.
After about 5 minutes it will look like this. At this point the soup needs to be pureed either in a blender or food processor. I have an immersion blender, so I was able to whirl it all up in the pot.
I ended up with a gorgeous green, creamy soup. My friend Sarah, who is a dietician, says the cauliflower makes the soup seem creamy and the kale makes the soup excellent for fighting cancer.
I say, add a little fresh cracked pepper, dill and a drizzle of olive oil, and you've got one yummy soup!

Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Greens
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Sea salt
1 medium head cauliflower (about 3 pounds), florets and stems cut in into 1-inch pieces (about 5 to 9 cups)
4 1/3 cups filtered water
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
5 large kale or collard leaves, or a combination, tough ends removed and leaves roughly chopped
Freshly ground pepper

Procedure:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook onion covered, until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and a pinch of salt, and cook for 3 minutes more. Add cauliflower, and pour in filtered water until it reaches just below the top of the cauliflower.

2. Bring to boil over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons dill. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until cauliflower is just tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in greens, and simmer for 3 minutes.

3. Let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons dill. Puree soup in batches in blender until very smooth, adding more water (about 1/2 cup) if it's too think. Return to pot, and reheat. Season with salt and pepper.





2 comments:

kate wallace said...

I must try this! I LOVE kale!

Valerie said...

I love kale too, but I'm not a fan of cauliflower....this soup may actually get me to eat it!