Monday, December 19, 2011

One is Enough...Sometimes

Submitted by Michelle

As many of our readers know, Linda and I often subscribe to the "go big or go home" school of thought. If 5 is good, then 10 is better. If we need 17 of something, then we might as well make 24 so we have an even number to divide between ourselves. Yesterday I was at my local Michael's Craft Store and was delighted to find large, clear, plastic Christmas ornaments. I have an idea ruminating in the back of my mind for Christmas 2012 and I couldn't get Linda on the phone to talk about how many ornaments we will need so I started with 20, thinking to myself, "10 each is good. But, the project is so cute, we'll probably want more." I ended up buying 40 ornaments! Good thing they were on sale and I had a coupon.

Linda was visiting me in early November and we knew we wanted to craft but we didn't have any big plans. She worked on her projects and I worked on mine. I don't know what came over me, but I actually made 4 different cards and I only made ONE of each. It was kind of liberating to create cards and not get bogged down in the mass production line. Here's a look at what I made.
My friend Teri loves neutrals and French inspired things so I knew I wanted to make a card for her using the Artistic Etchings stamp set. Teri also loves to make tags, so I thought it would be fun to incorporate a tag into the card design. I like to use a variety of embellishments on cards in order to add texture and bling. The black rhinestones echo the polka dot theme from the designer paper, and attaching a bit of linen tread using a vintage-looking safety pin did the trick.
I have a big box of "hand stamped" and "hand made by" stamps that I like using on the back of cards. For Teri's card I added the crown that is included in the Artistic Etchings stamp set. I think it works nicely and the gold ink was perfect on the black card stock.
Stampin' Up sells letterpress plates and I had ordered a Christmasy one thinking I would try it out. After watching an online tutorial, I gave it a whirl. I used gold ink and after several attempts, the impression came out clearly. Though you can't see it in the photo, the design is actually imprinted into the card stock. I stamped a very simple "Merry Christmas" in green to match the card base and this baby was done.
I have a stamp called "Tiny Tea Cup" that I've been dying to use so I did a quick search on the Stampin' Connection, a online community for Stampin' Up demonstrators, and found a card I wanted to CASE. The only thing I changed was the color scheme.
For my final project of the day, I pulled out a stamp set called Have a Seat that I purchased over a year ago because I had to have it! (Sometimes I have a problem distinguishing between a need and a want.) I created a wallpaper like background using an embossing folder on a piece of card stock. Then, using a brayer, I added ink to the debossed image. With such an ornate background, the card didn't need much else. I kept it simple and mounted the stamped bench on a dark layer of card stock and then finished the card off with some seam binding and a vintage looking brad.

The only problem with creating 1 of each card is...I have a hard time giving them away! I've got lots of free time on my hands now that it is Christmas break so I could make a few more. Now I've just got to decide how many to make.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

You go girl! You are still AMAZING! Can't wait to see the 2012 card and ornament :)

Linda and Michelle said...

Thanks Sam! And thanks for the shout out on your blog.