Sunday, November 13, 2011

Crafting Road Trip

Submitted by Michelle
Yesterday me, Carrie and Teri hit the road and headed out of the desert for the day. We were on a mission to visit the newly opened Hobby Lobby, the mother of all crafting stores. It is a paper crafter's mecca. The holy grail, so to speak. And up until October 28, the residents of Southern California had wrongfully been deprived of The Hob Lob, as I like to call it. Carrie, who hails from Michigan, and Teri, who is a new desert transplant from Seattle, have a long history with The Hob Lob, but I had only seen one in my lifetime when I visited the Utica, New York store last fall. We were giddy as we set out on our trip and we planned to make a day of it, hitting other crafting stores along the way.

Our first stop was Collective Journey in Redlands. They were having their Holiday Open House and this is what greeted us as we walked in the door!
Ah-maz-ing! It literally took our breath away.
At closer inspection I found some fantastic vintage style ornaments.
Collective Journey always has fantastic displays and seasonal decor that is truly inspired. The store is huge but the employees make it feel homey by creating decorations that hang from the ceiling.
I don't know how they come up with this stuff!
Along with a zillion things to purchase, there were also make and takes. We managed to sit down for one.
Teri, me and Carrie

From Collective Journey we set out to find Tai Pan Trading, a wholesale home decor store in Rancho Cucamonga.
I'd been hearing about this place from Linda and other Claremont friends from months and knew I had to see it for myself. Think of Tai Pan as Kirkland's or Home Goods on steroids. The prices on most things are more than reasonable and if you can't find what you are looking for at Tai Pan, then you probably never will because they have everything from candles to dishes to holiday decorations to patio and garden decor. I had to restrain myself more than once but I did find this gem:
A giant square bulletin board that will go perfectly in my craft room! I have big plans for the white frame and currently am in the process of deciding if I'm going to stamp, stencil or use Decor Elements on it.

Saving the best for last, our final stop was Hobby Lobby. It was everything we hoped for and more.
We probably spent close to 2 hours wandering up and down every single aisle. I went nuts over the endless selections of ribbons and trims, and bought more than my fair share of gingham ribbon in every color possible. I was in such a state of bliss that I didn't even take any photos!

The weather was gloomy and cold the entire day, but you never would have known it from our faces. I don't think any of us ever stopped smiling. It was a great day out with friends and an inspiring trip that has me chomping at the bit to get crafting. If you live anywhere near Rancho Cucamonga, get in your car right now and head to Hobby Lobby. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: