Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Barn-ish and Rustic" Wedding

Submitted by Linda
You may remember this post about a wedding shower for my nephew Matt's fiance, Kyan, where I shared this beautiful engagement photo. Well, the wedding came, and I just have to share all the clever details with you.

The couple dreamed of a barn for their venue, but found a grassy field on the campus of Western Christian School in Claremont, that would be perfect instead.

Matt, who is a gifted craftsman, among other things, built a 'chapel without walls' for the wedding. The carpet of grass, sprinkled with fall leaves, created the perfect ambiance. Kyan loves old mason jars, so they were a prominent part of the wedding and reception decor.
These doors, from the home Matt is restoring for his bride, is for the wedding party and the bride to walk through. Notice Matt's red truck in the background. The plan was to load the bed with ice and old-school bottled sodas, but the weather didn't cooperate. No worries- you will see that truck again!
Here comes the bride!
One sweet home-spun touch is the 2nd cousins entering in a rustic wagon, just ahead of the bride.Matt also built this heavy-duty arbor/backdrop, which framed the wedding party beautifully. Notice the jeans and cowboy boots! Even Kyan is wearing boots under that gorgeous gown!
Here are 2 of my wonderful nieces, Matt's sister Kate, and sister-in-law Andrea.After the wedding, I tried to stay out of the photographer's way, but I did manage to snap a few sweet pics.
Kyan is seriously the only bride I know who could fit into that wagon!Now, about the reception. Kyan's dream was an outdoor wedding and reception, but with rain looming, they wisely ordered a tent for the reception. With the strings of lights and heaters, it was cozy as the drops gently rained on our happy celebration.

As guests entered the tent, they saw the gift table, complete with antique luggage filled with picture clotheslines....
...and another suitcase for cards. My job was to make the 'cards' banner.I distressed the twill tape, newsprint designer paper, and all the kraft card stock with brown ink. The tables were decorated with white tablecloths, burlap runners, unhemmed fabric napkins, and a giant chocolate chip cookie in a brown bag.I love the custom stamp that they put on the cookie bags!
Everyone enjoyed their sodas, including the bride and groom.
Now for the guestbook. Guests were asked to take a card out of this old coke crate and write a message........then the pop it into the old mailbox! Cute, right?
The dessert bar was framed with a "How Sweet It Is" banner that the bride made out of burlap and hardware store stencils. Homemade cupcakes - YUM!
My other job was to create the 'cake topper' for the bride and groom's cupcakes. Before I had captured the full vision for the wedding, I confused 'rustic and barn-ish' with 'antique and vintage'. I created this version with glitter paper and lots of silky kraft colored seam binding, among other things. I was graciously asked to simplify, so I swapped out the seam binding for plaid ribbon, traded the glimmery heart for a black scallop. I left in my grandma's lace snippet, and one tiny blingy heart! Here's the simpler version......and here it is on the cupcakes!
Now for one final treat! I promised you a glimpse of the red truck again, and here it is! A beautiful picture that totally captures this couple! Congrats Matt and Kyan!
Photo by Bethany Cissel

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I love it! I can definitely steal some ideas from this for the future :)

kate wallace said...

Not only did you capture the beauty of the wedding with your pictures, but the essence of the day with your words! Thank you for blogging! I cannot wait to see you in December!