Saturday, October 22, 2011

Miss Carla's Oversized Bakery Chocolate Chippers

Submitted by Linda

When kindergarten starts in late August, my classroom could be a reality show. I am actually surprised that there isn't one already (or is there, and I just don't know?). I always say I am lucky to get to laugh and sing and color and dance almost every day in kindergarten. However, when our students start the year, there is often a lot of crying, shoe tying, and yes, 'accidents'. Most of the time it's just 'number one', but this year, our kindergarten team (not me, thank goodness) faced a couple of very messy accidents. I won't go into the gory details, especially since this is a food-related post.

Serendipitously, on that day, my friend Carla arrived to pick up her charges (she's the beloved babysitter "Miss Carla") and brought with her a bag of amazing homemade 'bakery size' chocolate chip cookies. Of course I shared them with my K-teacher team, and we were mostly able to recover from the drama of the day.

Several days later, when it happened again, I saw Carla and mentioned that it was a "cookie day". She promptly returned with another zip-loc baggy.

Now you may say they only were amazing because of the day we had, but after making them myself, I will admit that they are everything they're cracked up to be!

I also know that every family has their family recipe for chocolate chip cookies, so I'm not suggesting that this is a replacement, but rather a 'new favorite' to add to the recipe boxes.

You may remember Carla from another post, where I referred to her as the Goddess of all Sewing. Well, she also could be considered the Queen of Cooking! The cookies we were given had chocolate from FRANCE, and pecans from GEORGIA! Now that is a serious commitment to starting with high quality ingredients.

What I love about this cookie, is that there is just enough dough to hold together the chocolate chips and nuts. Just look at this dough! (I'll admit, I tasted more than one spoonful).
Here they are, on my pretty Petit Point Plate!
Miss Carlas Oversized Bakery Chocolate Chippers
Makes 28 Cookies (if you don't eat too much dough)

Ingredients:
2 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 C. unsalted butter, melted
1 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 C. semisweet chocolate chips (I used the mini chips)
1 C. (at least) coursely chopped pecans

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease cookie sheets or line them with parchment paper. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop the cookies 1/4 C. at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets (we both used the #24 ice cream scoop packed tight. Mine was the pampered chef version that is also the same size to fill a cupcake liner with batter.) Press each cookie down with the palm of your hand to even it out a bit - not too flat. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, or until the edges are lightly brown. Cool on baking sheets a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Carla also recommends baking one tray at a time, so you can keep an eye on them!

3 comments:

Catharina said...

Yum!!! I can't wait to start experimenting with how to make these gluten free!!! When I get it down, I'll share so that you can make them for your GF niece and nephew. Thanks for sharing!

janice said...

Wow Linda, those look wonderful!

Liz said...

Can't wait to try this recipe...and they look very pretty on that special plate of yours!