Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Submitted by Michelle
Much to my delight, not only is the fall weather slowly arriving in the desert (we are actually dropping below 100 during the day!) but the Farmer's Market has returned to Old Town La Quinta. Whilst many of you out there probably enjoy Farmer's Markets year round, we only get them from the end of September until early May.

This past Sunday I was up early and giddy with delight knowing I would see all my farmer friends again.
There is something to be said for buying your food from the people who actually grow it, rather than a big box grocery store. I don't have to check labels and signs to see where the produce comes from since I know it is all grown within a 100 mile radius of the desert, and I don't mind handing my money over to the source of my food rather than a middle man.
This farmer from Banning talked with me for a long while about watermelons. Did you know the that not only are the seeds of the watermelon edible, they are actually good for you? I wasn't in need of a watermelon, but I did buy a gorgeous butternut and acorn squash from him as well as a few ears of corn.

This gal is new to the farmer's market and her herbs are grown right here in the Coachella Valley! I grow most of my own herbs but I've been using tons of mint lately in my breakfast smoothies so I bought some from her since my own supply is a bit low.
I love this dude! His breads are to die for and his pastries are amazing.
I always buy my eggs from this man. He comes from Sky Valley, which isn't more than 30 minutes away. He also sells soap made from goats milk. I'm considering asking him about helping me hatch eggs with my kinder kids this year. The kids could watch the process of incubation and then when the chicks are born, we could pass them on to him.
I didn't need much this week since I'm quite busy and won't be doing tons of cooking. I've already used the corn in a salad and it was delish, and of course the pastries and bread are long gone. I'll let you know what I do with the onions and the squash. In the spirit of fall, I'm thinking a soup might be nice.





1 comment:

Teri said...

OHHHHHH...you are a girl after my own heart!!! WHO gets this thrilled over the return of the Farmer's Market?? :) FYI: I do have the most darling unit materials for the classroom on "hatching" if you are interested.