Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Eugene, OR: Mindy's Needlepoint Factory

Submitted by Linda
I suppose I'm going to have to face the facts and admit that my summer vacation is quickly coming to an end. I met some of my new kindergarten friends yesterday, and all I can say is "So Stinkin' Cute!" My classroom is nearly ready, and next week I will start waking up with the sun.

On our journey from so-cal to Victoria, we were able to stop on our way up, and back down, in Eugene, Oregon. You may know it as 'Tracktown, USA', or the home of the Oregon Ducks, but for me, it was my hometown through high school graduation.

While we were there, we visited with some family friends, and drove by my former home, high school and favorite restaurant. It was very nostalgic to see it all, and strange that it seemed familiar, but yet so full of changes.

I hadn't been in town for about 17 years, and I was so excited to discover that Mindy's Needlepoint Factory was still where I had left it, in the quaint 5th Street Public Market. I had shopped there as a high school student, buying embroidery floss for various projects.
See what I mean by quaint?
It wasn't quite the same, it was bigger and better!
See all the canvas on the walls? Those are Mindy's own needlepoint designs!
As usual, I was totally enamored with all the buttons.
Look at this gorgeous cross stitch. Each tiny square is a different design, which put together creates a gorgeous quilt vibe.
And look at this wall of ribbons! I wasn't able to capture it all in one picture.
I bought some ribbon and a very small cross stitch kit, because we all know I don't need any more hobbies!

At the end of my visit, I chatted with the real Mindy, about her store and the beautiful designs she creates for needlepoint. We talked about how the tough economy was affecting her store, and she shared that many people would rather buy a wonderful craft project that will provide hours of entertainment for the crafter, and then could eventually become a nice handmade gift for someone else. It so warmed my heart that such a special store can survive and grow in this economy.

Be sure to look her up if you're ever in Eugene, or find her at Mindysneedlepoint.com.

2 comments:

Goosegirl said...

I remember Mindy's! I have not been back there for a million years! I love the pictures. What restaurant was your favorite? Mine was Mazzi's!

kate wallace said...

Wow! That place looks awesome!