Saturday, July 9, 2011

Too Hot To Handle

Submitted by Michelle
The high temperature in La Quinta today was supposed to be 107 degrees. The forecast was wrong. It was actually 112!! Fortunately, Carrie and I had planned to take a road trip to Riverside to attend a craft fair. (We would have had Linda meet us there, but she is road-tripping in Oregon with her parents and husband.)
It was cooler in Riverside and we found lots of neat things at the Sew Funky Marketplace. Our friend Andrea, author of the blog Kutz, Paper, Scissors,was there. Linda, Carrie and I have attended some of her card making classes at Collective Journey, a paper crafting store in Redlands, and we love all of her creations.
I also made a new friend in Rachel from Rachel's Vintage Moments. She had lots of gorgeous handbags, plates, and knick-knacks.
I bought this bowl for myself and I also found something for Linda -- but I can't post it yet since it's a present and I want it to be a surprise.
These felted acorns were too cute to pass up and I'm going to add them to my collection of fall decorations. I also bought my mom a present - a kit for making felted pumpkins. The kit contains everything she will need to make several little pumpkins that she can then give to me! I always try to give gifts that I wouldn't mind receiving myself. {smile}
After the craft fair Carrie and I stumbled upon a Farmer's Market which we wandered through and made a few purchases for the upcoming week.
Our next destination was a lunch spot in Redlands. Martha Green's Eating Room is a place that Carrie found on line, a few months back in her ever constant quest for tasty food, but hadn't had the opportunity to visit until today. With it's large breakfast and lunch menu and bakery filled with delectable treats, it wasn't hard to find something to satisfy our hunger.
Carrie was virtuous and got a salad but I couldn't resist the pastrami sandwich on marble rye with house made potato chips.
We didn't need to order desert because our bill came with this cute rooster sugar cookie! However, we couldn't resist ordering a slice of Martha's Redlands Orange layer cake and a Magical Cookie Bar.
After our big lunch we walked around a bit to work off our meal and found this amazing children's book store. I don't really get the name of this store because with the help of Lord Google I found out that a frigate is a ship, but I have to admit the name is catchy and it caught my interest enough to make me want to go inside.
The Frugal Frigate has different rooms, each painted to match the theme of books collected within. This mural beautifully sums up the feel inside the store.
There is also an upstairs loft where adventure themed books are housed.
This is the view looking down into the store from the loft.
We begrudgingly made our way home to the hot desert -- or desi as Carrie and I like to call it -- wishing for more time away from the heat. But on the bright side, the forecast this week says the desi is going to cool off to 99 degrees by Thursday! I'm crossing my fingers and toes in hopes that the prediction is wrong and it gets even cooler.

3 comments:

The Random Mommy said...

Those acorns are so cute!!! I love the idea of the pumpkins, you'll have to share the photo when she gets them done! What a beautiful and fun day!
Melissa

Cheryl D said...

That sandwich looks amazing! Always fun to read your blog my friend. I hope the desi stays hot if it keeps you on roadtrips which produce such fun blog posts. :)

Heidi Mangus said...

Looks like you girls had a great day! You always find the cutest stuff and best places to explore! Can't wait to see you both this week. :)