Thursday, July 21, 2011

Oreo Cookie Balls

Submitted by Linda
I recently was out of town for a wonderful road trip, but I came home to some appliance drama: kitchen faucet broken (giant pile of dirty dishes due to no water), broken oven, squeaky dryer.

Immediately upon our arrival home, Craig and I took a trip to Home Depot to buy a faucet, which he immediately installed, even after a long day of driving. Squeaky dryer has been oiled, and the oven part has arrived and is ready for installation.

Tomorrow night is my stamp club, at which I am the hostess. That means I'm in charge of providing goodies for the evening. My strategy is always to have something salty, something sweet and something healthy, at a minimum. Usually peanut m & ms are involved also. Not being sure if the oven will be repaired in time, I need a sweet treat that doesn't require baking. Say hello to Oreo Cookie Balls!

These are like a truffle in disguise, and you would never know how simple they are to make by tasting them. And thankfully for me, they can be make with a food processor and the stove top.

Last time I wasn't completely pleased with the appearance of the balls and the texture of the melted chocolate, so I will try again this time and see if I can make them come out smoother.

Here's the recipe:

Oreo Cookie Balls
(from Shannon Smith, Just a Pinch Recipe Club)
Serves 24 -36

Ingredients:

1 18 oz. package Oreo cookies (regular size, 3 rows of cookies)
1 8 oz. package cream cheese block
4 oz. white chocolate bark (or use chocolate chips)

Directions:

1. Add oreos to food processor and blend until fine.
2. Add cream cheese to Oreo crumbs and blend until dough-like.
3. Chill mixture for 15 minutes then roll into bite-sized balls. Chill balls for 15 minutes.
4. Melt chocolate in microwave according to package directions. Dip chilled Oreo balls in melted chocolate using forks so chocolate can "drip off". Set covered cookie balls onto waxed paper and let set approximately 30 minutes. If using sprinkles or decorative sugars do so before chocolate sets.

2 comments:

Goosegirl said...

Oh my! Those look fabulous!!
Thanks for the recipe!

Tracy P said...

made these for Christina's wedding shower - also at Christmas - Trader Joes sells Candy cane/Peppermint type oreos they were a huge hit --