Thursday, June 30, 2011

July 4th Menu: Burgers with French Onions

Submitted by Linda
(Photo credit to Good Housekeeping.Com for this photo)
Three things:
#1. I'm really wishing for a new camera, a big step above my "point and shoot" Nikon. I'm putting a bug in Santa's ear for Christmas...so if you can suggest a 'next step' camera (one that isn't too complicated but will give me good results and allow me to grow in my skills), please feel free to give input below.

#2. Today I found myself in my kitchen cooking for fun. Weird, I know. But I really enjoyed myself and made a fantastic dinner for the man-boys and their dad.

#3. We have discovered the burger recipe that we will be making next Monday on the Fourth of July. I'm not a big meat eater, but this burger was a-maz-ing, and definitely worth repeating again and again!

This morning I showed Tommy this burger recipe from the June issue of Good Housekeeping. He agreed that it sounded good, especially since our family loves garlic, onions, mushrooms and gruyere cheese, all of which have a starring role in this recipe. Tommy agreed to help me put it all together (remember, he's my Food Network addict).

The recipe calls for Brioche rolls for the buns, which I couldn't find, so I happily substituted french rolls instead. You can see the burger with it's onion-mushroom-cheese topping, waiting for the garlic-mayo, lettuce and bun.
Tommy was so excited to take his first bite, he wouldn't let me adjust my camera for the sun, and you'll notice he didn't even get any side dishes onto his plate.
Here's my burger. It doesn't show the garlic-mayo, which is definitely a key part to this recipe.

Burgers with French Onions
Good Housekeeping June 2011
(The only change I made was to double the garlic-mayo recipe- we wanted to have plenty to slather on our burgers!)
Ingredients:


  • 1/3 cup(s) light mayonnaise (2/3 for us!)
  • 1/4 cup(s) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped (didn't double the parsley)
  • 1 small clove garlic, crushed with press (I used 2)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 teaspoon(s) olive oil
  • 1 medium (6- to 8-ounce) red onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounce(s) mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 cup(s) water
  • 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
  • 1 1/4 pound(s) 85-percent lean ground beef
  • 1 ounce(s) Gruy√®re cheese, shredded
  • 4 brioche hamburger buns, toasted
  • 4 leaves Boston lettuce

Directions:

1. Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling on medium.


2. In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, parsley, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; set aside.


3. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, water, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.


4. Shape beef into four 3/4-inch-thick burgers. Lightly sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper to season both sides.


5. Grill burgers, covered, 7 minutes for medium or until desired doneness, turning over once. Top each burger with 1/4 cup onion mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Cover; cook 1 minute or until cheese has melted. Serve on buns with garlic mayonnaise and lettuce.

1 comment:

kate wallace said...

Oh wow! These look awesome!