Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Accomplished Women

Submitted Michelle
Linda and I recently had a conversation about being what Jane Austen calls an accomplished woman. According to Caroline Bingley in the novel Pride and Prejudice, "...a woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.'' We figure we possess these qualities and more. Having degrees in music we are above average at singing and flute playing. We also cook, craft, teach and blog!

This idea of an accomplished woman prompted me to think about some of my front row friends and I realized they are accomplished women too. There is my friend Jennifer (a.k.a. Cubby) who is actually Dr. Jennifer having procured an advanced degree in vocal arts from USC. She is an amazing singer of classical music and opera. There is my cousin, Dr. Kathy, who is a professor at St. John's University and knows all things related to 18th Century British Literature (including Jane Austen!) There is my niece Rachel who is studying photography at The School of Visual Arts in Manhattan and keeps me in the know with youthful expressions and fashion. And then there is my friend Sheryl, a teaching colleague from the 1990's without whom I would have never survived my 9 years in secondary education.

Sheryl is probably the smartest person I know. If you look up brilliant or genius in the dictionary you will find her picture. On top of being well read and well educated, she is also an amazing crafter. I am lucky enough to be the recipient of some of her amazing work.

My birthday is fast approaching and on Monday I received a package in the mail from Sheryl. Inside were some fantastic, handmade gifts.

This one is my favorite.
It is a bag that she knitted and felted. I love the vine and leaf detail and the way it wraps around both sides of the bag. It is big enough to fit my laptop, a notepad and my wallet.
She also sent this pouch with the cutest button possible.
Autumn is my favorite time of year and I would guess that is why Sheryl picked that button for me.
Sheryl also made me some face cloths and included a box of delicious smelling soups to go with them. They are made from the softest of all possible yarns and I love having them for my own particular use. (Obviously, I don't share these with my husband.)
Living in a world which often defines accomplishment as having wealth and celebrity can often make one feel ordinary. However, if we look at ourselves through the eyes of Jane Austen, we are all quite accomplished women!









3 comments:

Goosegirl said...

Oh those are beautiful!! I LOVE the felted bag! Such gorgeous gifts from gifted friends. Lucky and blessed you!

Linda and Michelle said...

I'm glad that you think we are accomplished....but I think I may not measure up in "modern languages" and dancing...I may be the worst dancer ever!
Nevertheless, the gifts are beautiful, and I'm so glad that the washcloths are for your own "particular use". Your reference to Mrs.Collins is appreciated!
Linda

Cheryl D said...

It's great to see your friends are pampering you, as I've been the recipient of much of YOUR pampering and talents. Inspiring in so many ways! I love reading your blog.