Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Unbirthday Banner!

Submitted by Linda
I have been known for blathering on and on about how lucky I am to work at a neato school across the park from my home. While this is certainly true, some days the major budget cuts, occasional union issues, changes in leadership and ever increasing mandates can even get the happiest of teachers down.

My approach to these occasional workplace blues is to become involved in committees and teams who spread happy vibes. A few years back, I realized that I worked with so many amazing teachers and aides, and that they weren't getting any recognition. People were going the extra mile for our students simply because it was best for kids. So I appointed myself committee chair of "Unsung Heroes". Every few months, I choose (with the help of suggestions from colleagues) a deserving person and we surprise them with a week of treats, notes, gifts and a happy poster in the staff room, naming them as the "Unsung Hero".

This week we are honoring my friend Denise, who is truly an amazing colleague who happily goes the extra mile consistently. I remembered that the year she taught kindergarten with me, she was lamenting that she never was able to celebrate her birthday at school with her colleagues and students, because of her July birthday. So our "unsung hero" theme for Denise is "Happy Un-Birthday to our Unsung Hero!"

Of course, we did the usual balloons and such, but I decided that she would enjoy a name banner, made out of fun, festive papers. My inspiration comes from this cute banner that Michelle made for me. Because this banner is pretty tiny, it will fit anywhere she wants to hang it when her celebration is over.
Most of the supplies came out of the ice cream parlor papers from Stampin' Up. I used my scallop punch and my new 2 1/2" circle punch, along with some pink blingy "thickers" for her name.

Tomorrow I'm going to hang it on her 'in-box' in the staff room. I can't wait for her to see it!


1 comment:

The Klinovsky Family said...

I love it Linda! It will now hang in my room forever! You are sooo wonderful! Thank you for making me feel so special...I love working with you!