Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Teresa's Pasta Salad

Submitted by Linda
I had some trouble on Iphoto trying to crop and straighten this picture. But trust me, the salad is amazing!
When I was planning the big bbq for Nick's dorm-mates, one idea I had was to make a pasta salad, because (like the cole slaw) it could be mostly made ahead. When I dug through my recipes, I came across this one, called Teresa's Pasta Salad. It is written out by hand, on unfamiliar stationery, and I know I've had it for years.

The problem? For the life of me and don't remember who Teresa is! It is possible that she is someone who brought it to a church potluck years ago, or served it to me when I was out of town with Craig, visiting alumni. Or was it a parent who brought it for a 'staff appreciation lunch' at school? Either way, I know that if I had asked for it, then saved it, it must be good. And boy was it!! Everyone raved about it, and the leftovers where yummy all week long. Teresa, if you're out there, please chime in so I can give you credit!

I used 5 pounds of pasta, so here is Tommy helping mix up the first batch in my big drink server (I didn't have a mixing bowl that was big enough).
Tommy is turning into a foodie, partially because of Michelle, but also because he is a food network addict. So I enlisted his help for the big stir!
When I decided to cook the pasta the day before, I asked chef Michelle how to prep the pasta so it would be nice after being in the fridge all night. She told me to simply rinse the pasta, then put a bit of olive oil on it, and put it in a zippy bag. It worked like a charm! All week long I used that pasta and the texture and taste was great!

Here's Teresa's recipe:

Teresa's Pasta Salad
Dressing Ingredients:
1/8 teasp. pepper
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley or 2 T. dried parsley
1 teasp. honey
3/4 teasp. salt
1/3 cup vinegar: use half basalmic and half red wine vinegar
1 T. dijon mustard
1 1/2 teasp. basil

Dressing Directions:
Blend all together in blender. (It lasted nicely in the fridge for several days.)

Salad Ingredients:
1 - 2 pounds bowtie pasta
red onion, chopped
kalamata olives, halved
sundried tomatoes, chopped
feta cheese, crumbled
cucumber (this was my addition)
Salad Directions:Cook pasta as directed, cool, then add other ingredients and toss with dressing.

If you're making it for a large group, I found a large jar of sundried tomatoes, as well as crumbled feta at Costco, and found a large jar of kalamata olives at Smart and Final. Smart and Final also had tri-colored bowties, which added some nice color.

No comments: