Friday, April 15, 2011

Michael's Cole Slaw

Submitted by Linda
You may remember last year at this time (and the year before) I was in the throes of planning graduation parties for my two sons. My menu for Nick's party was an "upgraded" picnic, and it included this cole slaw recipe, which was a big hit. (Click here to see Nick's grad party menu.)

So last fall, he went off to college (only 15 minutes away), and I have been pressing him to invite some friends over for a meal. As someone who has completely enjoyed his freshman experience, he hasn't been home much and has been involved in all kinds of crazy activities. Since the school year is almost over for him, he finally set up a date to bring friends over, then informed me that he had invited the entire wing of his dorm. "How could I not include everyone?" he said! I love that inclusive attitude, and he knows we like to "go big or go home" at the Wallace house, so I started cooking and planning.

We ended up with only 25 or so (it could have been up to 40), and the students really enjoyed some home cookin'.

This recipe was given to me from a colleague at my school and the recipe is a combination of recipes, including Tam O'Shanter, Thai Slaw Salad, and 'Nat's King Cole' Coleslaw. For me, the peanuts make it!

Michael's Cole Slaw

Ingredients:
6 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, grated
1/2 cup chopped green onions, including tops
1 cup celery, cut diagonally
fresh basil, shredded (optional)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/8 cup honey
2 teasp. dijon mustard
peanuts, chopped (add as many or few as you want)
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, and mustard in small bowl. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions, carrots, celery, (optional basil), and peanuts. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Add dressing and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

Linda's Note: I rediscovered my food processor and shredded my cabbage and carrots, as well as chopped the peanuts with it. This is a big time saver if you are making it for a large group. Also, Smart and Final sells a 5lb. bag of shredded cabbage, with the carrots and red cabbage included.


No comments: