Sunday, January 23, 2011

Update on Celeste

Submitted by Michelle

Many of you probably recognize the sweet little face of Celeste, my former kindergarten student whom I love dearly and steal away from her family as much as I possibly can. She is 9 now and in the 4th grade. I can't believe she'll be heading off to middle school in just 1.5 more years!

In late November Celeste had surgery on her left hip and foot and was out of school for about 6 weeks. She was finally able to return to school last Wednesday and then suffered a terrible setback on Friday. She began having seizures at school and had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. Her family, friends and I have been extremely worried this weekend but, thankfully, today I was able to visit her at Loma Linda and she is doing much better.
Celeste's neurologist still does not know what caused the seizures, but with medication they have stopped. At first there was a concern about a hematoma (bruise) on her brain that might be the cause, but because the hematoma is very small and old, the doctors are certain it isn't the source. In a few weeks she will have an EEG to determine if perhaps epilepsy is the reason for the seizures. So for now we wait and hope that Celeste will be released from the hospital tomorrow.

Despite all her medical issues, Celeste is a constant source of sunshine in my life and those around her. She never complains or gives up and doesn't let surgeries or wheelchairs get her down. Her spirit is amazing and she is a daily reminder for me to be thankful for the good health I often take for granted, and for all the blessings which have been heaped upon me, particularly the blessing of having Celeste in my life.

1 comment:

Liz Leahy said...

Michelle - Thanks for sending an update. I'm keeping Celeste in my prayers.
Liz