Friday, December 10, 2010

Molasses Sugar Cookies

Submitted by Linda
Though I grew up in a home where sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies were king, as an adult I've developed a craving for molasses cookies. Several years ago I got a recipe from a friend which was time intensive, in that you were to buy ginger root and grind it up in a food processor, and add that liquid to the dough. Those cookies were wonderful, but this recipe for "Molasses Sugar Cookies", given to me by my friend Marcy, is simple and just as delicious.
I love how the tops crackle open, with the sugar glistening. These cookies are chewy, yet soft in the middle, just the way I like them! When I made this batch I was done from start to finish (including clean up) in under an hour and a half. So this is a great recipe when you need a homemade cookie, but have a time crunch. I'm looking forward to serving these up this holiday season!

Molasses Sugar Cookies
Recipe from Marcy Lee

Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Mix sugar, molasses, and oil together in bowl. Add egg and mix well. Add flour, soda, and spices. Roll into walnut-sized balls and roll in sugar. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 375 degrees for 8-9 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Makes 3-4 dozen.

1 comment:

Leslie Mortensen said...

Thanks for posting this, Linda. I procrastinated and needed to make 3 dozen cookies for a cookie swap this afternoon. These fit the bill perfectly!