Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holy Guacamole

Submitted by Michelle
This, my friends, is one of my favorite fruits. Yes, I said fruit. An avocado is a fruit and more technically speaking, a berry, but we often treat it like a vegetable. Whatever it is, I love it in salads, on sandwiches or burgers, in burritos, and even mashed atop buttered toast, preferably sourdough, and sprinkled with kosher salt. I could eat avocados every day and never tire of them.

My friend Laurie gave me several avocados that she gleaned for someone's tree...maybe her parents? maybe a neighbors?...where ever they came from, they are gorgeous specimens. The skin is perfectly green and the insides are pale and creamy, the perfect texture for guacamole. Tonight David is making tacos for dinner. We are in need of something spicy and totally different from the rich holiday fare that we have been subsisting on for weeks. Usually I would use a packet of spice mix to make my guac, but given the beauty and splendor of these home grown avocados, I decided to get back to basics and do it up old school.
In my book, guacamole must have some sort of pepper in it. My pepper of choice is the jalapeno, roasted to a deep brown on the grill. Fresh jalapeno can be a bit potent and I find that roasting it gives a smoother flavor and takes away just a bit of the heat that can be over powering to white girls like me. I literally put a jalapeno on the outdoor grill and cooked it until all sides of it were browned and the skin blistered. Once cooled, I peeled it, took out the seeds and diced it up.
Along with heat from the pepper, good guacamole needs spice. I like to use cilantro, garlic and onion.
I mix everything together and add some salt, cayenne pepper and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Some people like to add cumin or fresh tomato which is totally acceptable, but I like to stay on the simple side so that the flavor the avocado isn't masked too much.
I paired the guacamole with chips and salsa from my favorite Mexican restaurant and I've got the perfect starter for tonight's dinner. The only question is, will the guacamole last until the tacos are made?
Michelle's Guacamole
1-2 ripe avocados ( I used one but it was really big)
1 roasted jalapeno, skinned, seeded and diced - use as much or as little as you like
2 cloves garlic, minced
about 1/4 white onion, minced
about 1-2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
salt, cayenne pepper and lime juice to taste

Mix everything together and serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Laurie Pike said...

Hi Michelle and your blog. I am heading down to Mom's on Tuesday and will bring you more of these lovely fruits!