Monday, October 4, 2010

Thanks for the Memories

Submitted by Linda
Nine years ago, our 9 and 10 year old boys wished for a dog, especially Nick. We ended up at the Humane Society in Pasadena, where we began our journey as a dog owners. I had been reluctant, at first, and had threatened to name any dog that we got "Mother" (because I'd be leaving, haha). We ended up with our friend Toby (a female, but named after Toby Keith, because the boys didn't want a dog with a girly name like "princess" or "lady").

Over time, I went from reluctant dog owner to loyal fan of Toby. I took her to doggy school, and began walking her regularly. I even learned her language, and was able to translate her different barks (you know, the "I want out" bark, "the boys are wrestling!" bark, "my bowl is empty" bark).

While we were with Toby at home, she was literally the perfect dog, aside from the shedding.
You may remember this picture from last May.
This was from New Year's eve, with a grown up Nick.
Ironically, our dog who was so perfect when we were home, was a nut case when we were gone. Over the years, we've tried every strategy to keep her contained and happy while we were at school during the days. I have many stories of her busting out of her chain link kennel to come over to school to see the boys (back in their elementary days), and as recently as 2 Fridays ago, to find me. To make a long story short, she has become so anxious when we're gone, that she harms herself to escape. Hard to believe this sweet girl could do that, right?
Well, after months of worry, and a recent increase in the amount of damage to herself, we decided to do the humane thing, and 'set her free'. Though it was far from easy, it was the right thing to do, for Toby.

I will miss her wagging her tail by the back door each time I come in, and her deep breathing as she laid beside my bed, especially when Craig is out of town.

I was emailed a sweet poem from a friend today about dogs and heaven. I'm pretty certain that if there weren't dogs in heaven before, there's one there now.

3 comments:

Julie Mooney said...

Oh goodness - I'm weeping at work for sweet, sweet Toby! Thank you so much for letting us spend a weekend with her - even though it was only 48 hours (of craziness, at times!), we absolutely loved and 'adopted' that lovely girl! We serve a God who created and loves all living things - so yes, I'm convinced that all dogs go to heaven! I can't wait to see her again one day... :)

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry that things had to work out the way they did. But it was the best thing for Toby. And I'm sure she is someplace where she will never be lonely again.

Tiff said...

I am so sorry. What a hard thing to do. We're thinking of you guys.