Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Halloween with some Bling

Submitted by Michelle
It's September. I've been back in the classroom for 3 weeks now and have officially caught my first cold. The cold is bad enough that I took the day off from work but not so bad that I feel the need to lay in bed all day long. Lucky for me, I used my Michael's coupon this weekend to buy some white pumpkins and I'm all set to craft.
I got the idea for these blinged out pumpkins from a fellow Stampin' Up demonstrator, Sue Reynolds. They were soooo easy to make and will be a fun addition to my fall home decor.

To create the pumpkins I purchased the Spooky Things Decor Elements from Stampin' Up. Along with the words Trick-Or-Treat, the Decor Elements set came with other Halloween themed images, none of which I will really use, so I already made plans to split the set with a friend. I also needed 2 packages of Stampin' Up's black flourish designer jewels.
Decor Elements are super easy to use. You can put them on most any surface, including walls. I cut the words from the other images and scotch taped them to my pumpkins. (If I was putting them on a wall I would use painter's tape.)
Then, just like when I put on temporary tattoos from the Cracker Jacks box as a kid, I adhered them to the pumpkins by rubbing the front of the paper and peeling it away. Seriously, I had the words on all 3 pumpkins in a matter of 5 minutes.
(For those of you looking closely, that IS Napoleon Dynamite wearing his "Vote for Pedro" shirt in the top right corner of the picture. )
The designer jewels took longer to adhere to the pumpkins, but were also fairly simple to use. The adhesive on the back of the rhinestones is connected, which is a great help when trying to keep them lined up and spaced properly. They can be cut apart, twisted and reshaped as needed.
Now that this job is done, I'm off to make a cup of tea and relax a bit. After all, I don't want to craft so much that I cause myself to have a relapse.

No comments: