Friday, August 20, 2010

Whole Lotta Birthday Goin' On

Submitted by Michelle

I've been busy this week working on birthday cards for a card making class I am holding tomorrow. I wanted simple designs and I also wanted to be sure I included a few masculine styles. Here is what I came up with.

You saw this little beauty yesterday.

I made a similar version of this card a while back and it still appeals to me because it has an elegant look and yet is so simple to make. Stampin' Up has a die for the Big Shot that cuts out the curly label shape in the middle of the card front. I then used a impressions folder to make the embossed design and viola, I'm almost done.
The inside looks like this:
The curly label punch is slightly bigger than the piece that is cut out by the Big Shot die, so I was able to mount my Happy Birthday on a piece of Perfect Plum cardstock. The flowers are also punched out and in the center I tried out my new Pearl Basics, a welcome addition to my crafting supplies. Not bad for a card made in 5 minutes.

I saw the idea for this card on a Stampin' Up! website. It was designed by Heather Klump, a fellow demonstrator. Though we've never met, I find every time I see a card that I love she is the one who made it. I can't resist copying her style. I used a different color scheme and papers, but the inspiration is all hers.
This card is another copy from a Stampin' Up demonstrator though I put my own twist on it. The original is from Beth McAlexander and she has a great blog full of beautiful ideas. The color scheme and the star brad fit the masculine bill, don't you think?
My last card is also masculine in style and yes, I copied this idea too! Why reinvent the wheel when there are already so many fantastic cards out there? Ginny Gossett came up with this design, though I thought cutting out the presents and popping them up with a dimensional was a good addition.
Now that the designing is done, I just have to cut the cardstock and gather the supplies and I'll be good to go. It's going to be 108 degrees in the desert today so staying indoors and prepping for my class sounds like a good way to beat the heat.

All Materials From Stampin' Up!
Elegant Birthday
Stamps: Vintage Labels
Ink: Perfect Plum
Cardstock: Whisper White, Perfect Plum, Wild Wasabi
Accessories: Movers & Shapers Die, Curly Label Punch, Boho Blossoms Punch, Pearl Basics, Finial Press Embossing Folder

Heather's Card
Stamps: Happy Moments
Ink: Black Staz-On, Real Red, Pretty In Pink, Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Versamarker
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Real Red, Sending Love DSP
Accessories: Pretty In Pink Satin Ribbon, Sending Love Epoxy Brads, 1 1/4" Circle Punch, Word Window Punch, Dazzling Diamonds Glitter

Beth's Card
Stamps: Itty Bitty Backgrounds, Birthday Wish
Ink: Cherry Cobbler, Versamark
Cardstock: Early Espresso, Cherry Cobbler, Night of Navy, Whisper White
Accessories: Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Cutter Kit (to distress edge of cardstock), Designer Brad, Hemp Twine

Ginny's Card
Stamps: Happy Moments, Crazy For Cupcakes
Ink: Old Olive, Black Staz-On, Certainly Celery, Marina Mist, Basic Black
Cardstock: Whisper White, Marina Mist, Old Olive
Accessories: Dimensionals


1 comment:

kate wallace said...

These are so cute Michelle!