Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Do It Yourself" Footed Plates

Submitted by Linda
While working this summer on my "Camp Clean-Up", you won't be surprised to know that I found some random incomplete craft projects. Don't you hate it when you get started on a project, them somehow lose your motivation? Usually when I find these types of things, so much time has passed, that I'm no longer interested in doing the project so I send it all to Goodwill. Time to bless somebody else, as the Flylady says. Well, this project is a project worth doing, and since I had all the supplies on hand, I finished them up.

You may be interested to know that I have seen these recently on my craft fair adventures, including our foray to Unique LA. So these babies aren't in the same sad category as a crocheted toilet paper cover, or a seasonal appliqued denim shirt. It's hard to see in this photo, but the plate is elevated on a glass candleholder.
First, hit your thrift stores for old candle holders, or take your 40% coupon to Michael's. The big one on the right was from Michael's, and is the one I used for the red plate.
Meanwhile, keep your eyes open for inexpensive plates at places like Homegoods, Crate and Barrel Outlet, etc. You can also used old china, which is a great way to display a single plate. I found these basic red and white ones marked down, but you can use any plate.
Purchase your "Amazing Automotive Goop". I had a hard time finding it at the bigger hardware stores, but was happy to find it at good ol' OSH.
Following the directions on the Goop packaging, adhere your candle holder to your plate. Keep in mind you will need at least 24 hours for the glue to dry, so you'll want to plan ahead. I think these will make sweet gifts with some cookies on the plate, wrapped up in cellophane.
The little scalloped plate is on the shortest candle holder. Using these plates at different heights will also help set a pretty dessert table for a party!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LINDA!!!! I LOVE this idea, especially because Christmas is right around the corner!..lol....

kate wallace said...

I LOVE this idea! So cute! Oh my goodness, I want to make some right now :):):)

Tiff said...

This is awesome! I can't wait to try this. You are too crafty. :)