Sunday, July 18, 2010

Snickerdoodles: Fun to Say, Fun to Eat!

Submitted by Michelle
My first memory of the Snickerdoodle cookie dates back to the 1970's when I was in elementary school. Amy Tripodi, my best friend at the time, had a mother who always seemed to be baking up something good. It was at Amy's house that I was first introduced to the Honeyed Gingersnap, one of my all time favorite cookies, and other delectable treats, and it was around her kitchen table that I first tasted and fell in love with the infamous Snickerdoodle. I'm not sure why, but I never had my own copy of the recipe and once I graduated high school and went my own way to college, I lost touch with Amy and my beloved Snickerdoodle.

Fortunately for me, when I was teaching high school in Covina, California, I had a student named Pip who loved to bake and she re-introduced me to my old friend. (Her name wasn't really Pip, but her family called her that because she was a little pipsqueak when she was born and the nickname stuck.) Not only did Pip re-kindle my love for the Snickerdoodle, she also gave me the recipe! Every time I pull the recipe out and see the neat printing of my former 9th grade student, I have to smile and thank the cooking gods for Pip.

Snickerdoodles are SO easy to make, I often wonder why I don't bake them all the time? They don't contain many ingredients so I usually have everything on hand, and though the dough should be chilled before using, you don't have to follow that part of the recipe if you are in a crunch for time.

Basically you need butter, eggs and sugar...
...and you cream all that together really well!
Then you add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar...
...and mix it again until the dough comes together into a ball.
If you have the time, chill the dough for about an hour and then roll it into little balls. The balls get rolled in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar...
...and then go onto a cookie sheet.
You don't have to press them down or anything. You just bake and they come out perfectly, every time! Seriously, this cookie never disappoints.

Snickerdoodles are a great cookie to make with kids. Their little hands are perfect for rolling the dough into balls and then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. They also stack up nicely in a cello bag and make the perfect gift.
PIP'S SNICKERDOODLES
Makes about 6 dozen

dough
1/2 cup butter
1 1 /2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar

cinnamon-sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
(I usually double this part. I like a lot of the cinnamon sugar on my cookies.)

Cream butter, eggs and sugar together. In another bowl sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Mix flour and creamy mixture together. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Shape rounded teaspoons of dough into balls. Roll balls in cinnamon- sugar mixture. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: