Saturday, July 31, 2010

Linda's Travel Journal: Part 6: Oberammergau, Germany

Submitted by Linda
So the final leg of our trip was in Oberammergau, Germany. Though it is mostly known for the Passion Play, it is one of my favorite European destinations. After being in the bigger cities throughout our trip, it was so nice to end up in such a charming, homespun village.

Most of the homes and business are elaborately painted with murals. This home depicts the story of Little Red Riding Hood. What's not to love about a house that promotes fairy tales?

Also, most of the homes and businesses have these amazing window boxes full of petunias and geraniums. The flowers must love the climate there, because my flower pots never cascade down quite like these.
We were blessed to be one of the few groups that stayed overnight in the village. So when the masses of people were gone (before and after the passion play), we had the town to ourselves, and captured a few moments with family.
One of my highlights in Oberammergau, is visiting the Kathe Wohlfahrt Christmas store. Since I had been in several of her stores on previous trips, I couldn't wait to get in there, and see all of her unique offerings! I was so excited about it, I think I probably embarrassed myself in front of all of our traveling companions. Here are Renee and I out in front:
Here is just one tiny section of the store! These are the glass ornaments, but you can find any other kind of ornament you could wish for.
Another reason I love the village of Oberammergau, is because of their commitment to history and their faith. Here is an excerpt from the Passion Play Textbook, which provides the script in English and German, as well as notes about the production:

The Oberammergau Passion Play dates back to a vow made in the year 1633. At that time the plague raged in the entire region, including Oberammergau. Many people died. It was then that the people of Oberammergau vowed to portray the "Passion, Death, and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ" every ten years. From that moment on not one person succumbed to the Black Death....The play of redemption seeks to capture the fears and longings of the people of our times and give them the kind of hope offered by faith. Consequently, the play is not museum-like folk theater, it is a theater of the people for the people that reaches deep into life and seeks to convey hope.

Here is the view of the stage from my seat. By the luck of the draw, Craig and I were in the 2nd row!
I stood up to peek into the orchestra pit before the play began.
Here's a photo taken from 6th row of the play in progress. Keep in mind, that of the 2,500 folks who live there, over 700 are involved in the play. The acting was excellent, as was the choir and orchestra.
It was a very inspirational and hope-filled experience. And so interesting to start our trip at Dachau and end here, and to know that my faith helps me muddle through the challenges that life brings.

Though this was the last city of our journey, I have a few more fun pics to post tomorrow. Stay tuned.......






1 comment:

Courtney said...

I love the picture of the 6 of you!