Monday, June 7, 2010

Chicago Getaway

Submitted by Linda
I was blessed this past weekend to get away to Chicago with Craig. Those of you who know me, know that I have been super busy and pretty exhausted. Well, I got so much rest this weekend - I'm ready to tackle the last two weeks of school!

Craig was there for APU business, so I used his mileage to get to the windy city and see my college (and post college) pal, Heidi. This girl knows how to give gifts - look what was awaiting us when we arrived!
After we settled in (we stayed with College friends of Craig's, who also happen to be related to us!), we met Heidi and Bob and their clan for dinner at Portillo's famous hot dogs.
After Portillo's, we headed to "The Daily Scoop" for ice cream, in Heidi's cute town of Clarendon Hills.
We had a lot of laughs with (left to right) Griffin, Cailley, Brennan, and Emma.
On Saturday, it was "girls day out". Heidi took me to Hobby Lobby - I was so excited I forgot to take pictures. We've really got to get one of those in so cal!!! Then we swung by the pretty town of Hinsdale to visit the "Yankee Peddler". Though the clerk wouldn't allow me to take a picture inside, I managed to get this picture of their pretty window display.
Next stop was downtown Chicago to the Drake Hotel, which apparently is the oldest hotel in town. This photo is the ladies room! So pretty, I couldn't resist! (The stalls are on the left).
This gigantic floral arrangement in the lobby is real! We had high tea in the tea room, and had plenty of time to catch up with each other.
Though Heidi is a busy mom of four, her backyard is amazing. I was so inspired to add more annuals and perennials to our yard. What I loved most is this pink-doored playhouse, complete with a children's sized garden.
Look at this pathway lined with old china plates!!!!
Craig got some swinging in with Griffin....

..and we ended our day with the men at Giordano's Pizza!
All in all, we had a wonderful time, and came home refreshed and rested!

1 comment:

Gail Wallace said...

Ah, Portillo's and Giordano's in the same weekend. You almost made me miss living in the Chicago suburbs....key word, almost!