Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rustic Peach and Blueberry Crostata

Submitted by Michelle

Though I have countless things I should be trying to accomplish today, I've spent my entire morning doing what I love: cooking. I made a batch of black bean burritos to enjoy for dinner tonight. I baked up a double batch of lemon bars with lemons from my tree to share with my friends at work. And since I had a bag of peaches which I bought on sale for 98 cents at my neighborhood Fresh & Easy I decided to try out Tyler Florence's recipe for a Rustic Peach and Blueberry Crostata.

The recipe is very simple. It begins with your basic pastry crust ingredients with the addition of lemon zest.
Once the butter, flour, salt and zest are incorporated, an egg yolk is also added, along with cold water. The dough comes together very easily and has to be chilled for 30 minutes, at least.
Whilst the dough chilled I peeled and sliced the peaches and mixed them with frozen blueberries. I also added sugar and flour to make them syrupy and sweet.
After the dough was chilled I rolled it out and transferred it to a pizza paddle. A crostata is form of a tart that is meant to have a "rough" appearance rather than a uniform, circular shape hence the sloppy appearance of my dough.
I topped the dough with the fruit, brushed the edges with egg yolk and then folded them over, leaving some of the fruit filling exposed.
The outside of the crostata is brushed with an egg wash and sprinkled with sugar and the entire pastry is baked on a pizza stone or, in Tyler Florence's case, a wood burning oven.

The end result is this gorgeous dessert.
I have plans to top it with either whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This will be a great dessert to make all summer long as fruit is in season and abundant.

To view Tyler's recipe click here.