Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back Pain and Cards

Submitted by Michelle

Self pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world. Helen Keller

Somehow I've "jacked up" (as Tommy and Nick would say) my back. I really have no idea how. I didn't do anything like pick up something heavy or even twist a weird way. All I know is I woke up on Saturday and my back didn't feel quite right and a few hours later, after washing the car, taking a shower and then trying to do some gentle stretching I had a major spasm in my low back and could barely get myself up off the floor and into bed, let alone walk. I spent all of Saturday in bed, which really annoyed me because there were at least 101 things I wanted to do with my day, including stamping! Instead, I watched TV and did more web surfing than one can ever imagine. If I had a DVD player in my bedroom, I'm sure I would have overdosed on Pride and Prejudice, Lord knows I had time on my hands.

This morning, I woke up extremely stiff and began to feel really blue about having yet another wasted day on my hands. I had myself a good cry, lamenting my bad luck and wishing I had gone to yoga on Saturday morning rather than washing the car! It took me a bit, but I finally decided that I had to do something to help myself and laying in bed crying certainly wasn't the something that needed to be done. Based on Saturday's research, I knew I had to get up and get moving no matter how painful it would be in the beginning. The good news is that I was able to slowly get out of bed and onto the floor and stretch my back, which enabled me to stand and walk a little without the help of my walker a.k.a. the rolling office chair from my craft room. Cut to 3 hours later, I'm now showered, dressed and even wearing make up and ready to face the day, even if the day is to be spent at home moving slowly and deliberately.

Since I am up and at em' and done with my pity party, I decided I'd post the last 2 cards for my upcoming Stamp-A-Stack. I made them on Friday before my Saturday morning debacle with my back.

I rarely use Bermuda Bay cardstock or ink and I'm not quite sure why. It's a great color, don't you think? I like the combination of the Bermuda Bay with the Crushed Curry and I'm very pleased that this card is so simple. It will be easy for my customers to make and easy for me to prep. I also like the faux ribbon made from cardstock. It adds to the card but keeps it economical.

I {heart} Hearts is a stamp set that I had to have but have rarely used. Again I wonder why? It is such a cute set. This card was created by Ilina Crouse and I tweaked it just a bit. (To see her original creation, click here.)

Now that this blog entry is done,my goal is to start working on my projects for this month's card clubs. I may have to take lots of breaks and I'm sure the process will be slow, but I think it is a much better option than laying in my bed and feeling sorry for myself. Though I will admit, now that I am able to be out of bed, most of my breaks will probably be spent on the living room couch watching Pride and Prejudice as it always cheers me up when I'm not feeling quite like myself.

No comments: