Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tom's Kale Soup

Submitted by Linda
Many of you who know me know that my father in law, Tom, was well loved and admired by many. He passed away several years ago, and we still remember him and his legacy often. My Tommy was Grandpa Tom's 11th grandchild, and we were so blessed to be able to name him after his grandpa. Tom was good at fixing anything, but he was also a great cook.

This past weekend, when it was raining, I decided to make his Kale Soup. When I pulled out my recipe card, I remembered that the last time I made it, he was in my kitchen helping me do it.

This soup is a favorite family recipe, most of the Wallace grandchildren would say it is one of their favorite Christmas foods, expected at our Christmas family gathering. (Even the small kids love it, and don't realize they're eating one of the most healthy greens!) The original recipe comes from A Well Seasoned Appetite by Molly O'Neill.
Just for the record, under normal circumstances, I would have never tried a recipe with kale, and this recipe would have not been something that would seem appealing to me. However, I'm asking you to trust me on this- it's amazing! Even Michelle, the foodie, gave it two thumbs up when she tasted it last weekend. I doubled the recipe, and it was gone before the weekend was over!

Here's the recipe:

(Tom's) Kale Soup with Potatoes and Sausage
Serves 4/main course

Ingredients:
1 pound Italian sausage, removed from casings (I used "hot")
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
6 0r 7 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (or more, if you like)
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" cubes
1 1/2 heads kale, stemmed and chopped, about 6 cups
4 C. chicken broth
2 C. water (if it seems like more liquid is needed)
1 T. basalmic vinegar
2 t. kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
White rice, cooked (I use a rice pot- but it can easily be made stovetop)

Directions:
Pour a bit of olive oil into a large pot, then put the sausage in the pot over medium-low heat and brown it, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, water, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for at least an hour. Season with pepper.

Serve with the white rice, so folks can add as much or as little as they like.

3 comments:

kate wallace said...

I am so happy you posted this recipe!I love Grandpa Tom's kale soup! It is my favorite Christmas food!

rcbixby said...

Thanks for the inspiration. Tiff and I made it on Saturday and enjoyed every bite!

Tiff said...

And I made it again last night...warmed our tummies and our hearts.
By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!