Thursday, March 18, 2010

Craft Fairs: Passe or Posh?

Submitted by Linda
I'll admit it.....I am a loyal craft fair shopper. Though nowadays (as opposed to the 80s and 90s when craft shows were in the height of their glory), many of the items aren't handcrafted, I still enjoy shopping there for a variety of reasons.

1. I like to see what's new in the crafting world. Is there anything novel that I want to buy and/or copy? This reindeer candy bar was something I found several years ago.

2. I love to find interesting home dec items, purses and jewelry (the sparklier, the better!)

3. I love to have a laugh at all the "old-school" crafts (remember the crocheted dolls that covered a roll of toilet paper? Thankfully, I don't see those too often).

4. I like to support crafters who are working hard to sell their handcrafted wares.

Lately, I'm finding neato spring decor items. Check out this great flower arrangement I got last week for my "pretty" bathroom (the boys in my house call it that, and know that they aren't allowed to use it).

I really like it, and think it looks so nice against the butter yellow walls and black granite.

For anyone interested in craft fair shopping, here are my faves:
Sugar Plum - This one is great: big, lots of vendors, fresh ideas, usually in Orange County.
Crafts Unlimited - Not as big, but I usually find something there. Recently this one was in Rancho Cucamonga.
Seasons and Holidays (was not able to find a link) - Always at Pacific Christian School in Upland, smallest of the three. I found a favorite embellished purse here once.
Harvest Festival - great, true crafters and artisans. The only downside is that you usually pay for parking and a hefty admission price.

Did I miss any? Let me know if I've missed any that you like!

2 comments:

kate wallace said...

Can we go to a craft fair together when I get back?!?!

Brandon's Mommy said...

Ha! I LOVE the "pretty bathroom" that is off limits to your boys! Beautiful flowers!!