Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Get Away to Sierra Madre

Submitted by Michelle
Over the President's Day weekend Celeste and I took a little road trip to Sierra Madre to visit my brother Michael, his wife Alyse and my niece and nephew, Anna and Max. Max and Celeste are the same age and they love talking about Club Penguin and playing on the computers. Though Anna is 2 years younger, she joins in the fun too and adds the girly element by hosting tea parties and creating elaborate story lines for the kids to act out using her collection of Polly Pocket dolls.
The dress code for this morning tea party was pajamas and included water in paper cups and Pez appetizers.
Celeste and I drove to Sierra Madre on Thursday night so we could take full advantage of our Friday off from school. Michael and I took the kids out to dinner while Alyse attended a drawing class at Art Center. (You may remember that my sister-in-law is an extremely talented artist. I wrote about her here.) In usual kid-style, all 3 amigos had to sit on the same side of the booth and order the same beverage (milkshakes).
Max gives Island's two thumbs up.
The kids also insisted on sleeping together on the lower bunk of Max's bed. I didn't mind since this meant I got Anna's bed all to myself.

On Friday, while I indulged in some much needed retail therapy at Nordstrom (love that place!) Alyse and the kids decorated cupcakes.
Not wanting to be outdone, I did a little baking that afternoon too, but of the savory sort. I had loads of butternut squash from my farm box, so I made a heart shaped butternut squash and leek tart to go with our grilled chicken dinner. The kids preferred the cupcakes but Mike and Alyse did appreciate my effort to be healthy.
Saturday morning was filled with basketball and cheerleading. Max plays in a basketball league at Pasadena Nazarene Church. Doesn't he look great in his uniform?
Pre-game photo on the stairs at the house.

We sat right behind the team bench so Celeste could see everything and I was able to get some good shots of Max and Anna.
As you can see, I'm a proud Aunt who can't seem to stop snapping photos of the cute kids!
The kids were sad when we had to part ways on Saturday afternoon, but before leaving town Anna indulged Celeste with a manicure in the back seat of my car.

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.
Thomas Jefferson

No comments: