Sunday, January 24, 2010

Carrie's Chicken Salad

Submitted by Michelle
You may recall that in my last blog entry I wrote about Carrie's chicken salad sandwiches and how I can't get enough of them...well, this past Saturday my dreams came true. Carrie came over to stamp AND she showed me how to make her savory spread. She also gave me permission to share her recipe with you so here it is!
You will need chicken breasts. I used 2 large ones that I had left over from a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. You could also poach (a.k.a. boil) raw chicken breasts or bake some up if you don't want to buy a rotisserie chicken. The only no-no to this recipe would be using canned chicken. The flavor would not be the same and besides, canned chicken grosses me out.

You'll also need mayonnaise. Carrie says it HAS to be Best Foods. No Miracle Whip or cheapie grocery store brand. Along with the mayo you'll need DILL relish (not sweet relish), onion, celery, salt, pepper, and spices such as dried dill and garlic powder.

The last key to this recipe is a Food Chopper. Carrie has a Pampered Chef chopper and I love this recipe so much that I'm going to order one for myself, though I am not big on having gadgets when a knife will do the job, however I think the reason I love this chicken salad so much is because the chicken is chopped so small. I think you could also use a Cuisinart to chop your chicken and Carrie claims that she used to chop the chicken with a knife prior to her Pampered Chef days. Whatever you choose to use to chop your chicken make sure it goes from looking like this...
to this...
Carrie doesn't have measurements for this recipe so we used 3 stalks of celery and 1/2 an onion, chopped super small. (If you have the Pampered Chef food chopped you can chop the celery and onion with it too!)
Actually, we didn't use all of the onion shown above. We used about 3/4 of that. It really depends on how much oniony flavor you like.

We put the chicken, celery and onion in a big bowl and then added 2 heaping tablespoons of the dill relish and about 1 cup of mayonnaise. We mixed it all together and added salt, pepper and spices to taste.
It ends up looking like this:
The first time Carrie brought her chicken salad to my house I would have swore she used canned chicken because it was chopped so small. It looks delish, don't you think?

This chicken salad makes great sandwiches, especially if you fire up the panini press and grill them on some tasty bread. (We used La Brea Bakery Three-Cheese & Semolina loaf.) It would also be good as part of a salad, perhaps with lettuce, grapes and some nuts.
To finish off our lunch, Carrie also brought some peanut butter cookie dough that she made from scratch. We put some mini chocolate chips on top, baked them off and had a fantastic dessert.
Once I get that recipe from her, I'll share it with you too.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

The salad does look yummy!

Dave & Andrea said...

That does look delicious :-) I made some this week, but I cheated and used the canned chicken..... I'll have to try it sometime with real stuff!

Amber said...

Michelle I made this chicken salad this weekend and it was awesome !