Sunday, December 6, 2009

Golden Potato Casserole (aka "Cheesy Potatoes")

Submitted by Linda
I'm guessing that every family has some kind of "cheesy potato" dish that is a family favorite. I'm not one to pick a fight, but I believe that if we had a "cheesy potato recipe war", this one would probably win! It's definitely a favorite in the Wallace house, and it's a sure strategy to get Tommy home from college for a meal. This is his hand, putting the potato mixture in the baking dish.
I think the reason this recipe is so good (aside from butter, cheese, and sour cream), is because the recipe calls for cooked, grated potatoes, rather than the shortcut frozen hashbrowns. (I've tried using the hashbrowns, but the potatoes are too crunchy, even after being baked).
I usually serve this dish with a ham, but it's also good with red meat and a nice salad.
It's also really good the next day as leftovers, IF there are any leftover!

When I make this dish, I usually double it, and freeze it in my 9x13 dish for another day.

Here is the recipe:

Golden Potato Casserole

Ingredients:
6 medium potatoes
1 cube butter, sliced
3 C. grated cheddar cheese
2 C. sour cream (I use light sour cream)
1/4 C. chopped green onion
1 teasp. salt
1/4 teasp. pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. (Potatoes should be boiled until tender, chilled, then skinned- or they can be peeled before boiling). Grate potatoes into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients except 1/2 cube butter. Mix well and pour into a greased 9x13 glass dish. Place remaining butter slices on top. Bake 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Lynn (Seese) Painter said...

This looks wonderful! My daughter Joanna (13) saw it, and said, "Can we make that on Christmas Eve?" I love that you add low fat sour cream with the STICK of butter...