Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why Living in the Desert Ain't So Bad

Submitted by Michelle
As you know, summers in La Quinta are hot. Very hot. So hot, in fact, that the water in the swimming pools heat up to bathtub temperature. The worst part of summer weather occurs in July and August but the hot temps usually begin in June and last until the beginning of October. Four months of running the air conditioner and wearing as little clothing as is reasonably possible. However, the other 8 months of the year are paradise. Temperatures are mild, it hardly ever rains and while it can get cold enough for jacket wearing, it is more fun to bundle up than a burden given the fact that I rarely ever have to bundle up. Another plus to desert living is winter gardening. I thought I'd give you a look at what I've got growing these days.

Lots and lots of colorful flowers. Stock is one of my favorites because it is so fragrant.
I planted this bed on Tuesday morning. I can't wait for all the pansies, nasturtiums, stock and lavender to fill in.
Herbs grow really well in the desert in the winter because we don't have much frost. This bed is right outside my front door, which makes it easy for me to snip basil, dill, oregano, thyme, marjoram, parsley or lettuce any time I need it when I am cooking.
Tomatoes are also a winter crop in the desert. I just put this fella in last week and it already has started to flower!
The Meyer Lemon tree is chock full of lemons almost ready to be picked. Did you know Meyer lemons are a cross between a lemon and a tangerine. That's what makes them super juicy, slightly sweet and thin skinned.
Even though the Thanksgiving season is upon us, I couldn't resist a glimpse of what is to come...Christmas! I think these red and white flowers will look great when I change out my fall garland around my front door to evergreen next week.
And of course my craft table reaps the benefit of my winter gardening.
Gardening is a hobby I really enjoy. There is something about digging in the earth and watching plants grow that gives me a feeling of peace and satisfaction. To me, dealing with 4 months of heat, in which I can still grow heaps of things, is worth it to be able to garden year round.

1 comment:

cpcheats said...

I LOVE the scent of stock. It will forever remind me of my Dad's garden. Excellent choice! I can't get enough of it.