Saturday, December 19, 2009

What Are You Listening To?

Submitted by Michelle


Each year I anxiously wait to pull out my Christmas music and I usually start playing it the day after Thanksgiving...sometimes even a few days before! Christmas music has such a positive message of love. Love for Christ, love for family, love for those relationships we hold dear no matter how near or far away the person may be. No wonder I like it so much. Here's some of my favorites this season, both old and new.
Oh Andrea, I can't resist him despite his Italian accent when singing traditional American Christmas tunes like "San-tee Claus is caw-ming to town." The Lord's Prayer featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Cantique de Noel (O Holy Night) will give you chills. I can live without Reba McEntire and Andrea singing Blue Christmas but I do dig Mary J. Blige chiming in on What Child is This.
Josh Groban. Need I say more? This cutie pie can sing and I think his CD is the one that I listen to the most of my Christmas music. On Noel he sings both old and new Christmas songs and he even has a song titled Thankful which to me says, "Listen to this album before Thanksgiving."
My brother Michael gave me this CD on Thanksgiving this year. He and I are fans of the spunky, cute and classically trained Kristin Chenoweth. Though I don't love all the musical offerings on this CD, I really like her version of Do You Hear What I Hear? and she brings back Sing. You know it, "Sing, sing a song. Sing out loud. Sing out strong." Karen Carpenter sings it best, but Kristin is a close second.
For all you a capella loving people, this one is for you! The group First Call recorded this as an album in the 80's and I always go back to it year after year. I had it on cassette tape from my college days and was so glad to convert to CD a few years back. Everything on this CD is great, but my favorite is O Come, O Come Emmanuel featuring the haunting and lyrical voice of Cynthia Clawson.
I've been in love with Harry since he first came on the musical scene with his Frank Sinatra like voice back when I was in college. He went through a phase of modern jazz that I didn't quite get into, but this Christmas album is a must have. Harry does a great gospel version of I Pray on Christmas that I can't get enough of, and It Must Have Been Ol' Santa Claus is one that I play in the classroom at this time of year. The kids and I get a kick out of singing along on the chorus.
You know I'm a Glee fan so there is NO WAY I could post a list of Christmas music and not include this one. It is a $1.29 download on iTunes. GET IT TODAY!
Chris Botti, another handsome and talented musician who both plays and sings, though Harry definitely trumps him in the singing department. His trumpet playing is smooth and warm and this CD makes great background music for a party or dinner.
I'm a lover of the piano and Jim Brickman always delivers in the easy listening department. Another CD that makes great background music and also has some songs with vocals that are heart warming and romantic. Sending You A Little Christmas is one of my favorites.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Kristin Chenoweth has a Christmas CD?!

****Racing off to iTunes to download it immediately***

Samantha said...

THE NOW- WOW Christmas CD's are wonderful and they have my favorite- Mary did you know? Thank you for the ADORABLE Christmas card- it is going to be posted soon!