Friday, October 23, 2009

Crock Pot Pleaser #2: Pulled Pork Tacos

Submitted by Linda
I got so much nice feedback on my last crockpot post, that I decided to share another winner. I've made various versions of pulled pork, and really, you can't go wrong. But this recipe is ALL RIGHT! After I made it for my family, I had some friends who stopped by, and I made everyone taste it! People were wowed and impressed. I can't take credit, though. This recipe was shared with me by one of our stamp-clubbers, Laurie.

Do not be scared by the jam in the ingredient list. The men in my life don't like sweet meat dishes, but the balance of sweet and zippy in this recipe is perfect (I just don't tell them what's in it!). Also, don't be alarmed by the jalapenos either. Just be careful to chop them with plastic gloves on, or wash your hands when you're done. You don't want to scratch your face or rub your eyes while chopping jalapenos- trust me on this one!

The other bonus about this recipe is it's cost. I bought this pork shoulder roast a few weeks back at Stater's for 89 cents a pound. The entire roast was just under $3.00!!!
Here's the recipe:

Pulled Pork Tacos

Ingredients:
2 -2 1/2 pound pork shoulder roast
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. cumin, ground
1/2 C. apricot jam/preserves (I use the whole jar - and this last time I used peach)
2 jalapenos, sliced into rings and seeded
1 red onion, roughly chopped

8 flour or corn tortillas
fresh cilantro
lime, cut into wedges

Directions:
Cook in crockpot on low for up to 10 hours. (After it's mostly done, I like to shred it up, and put it back in the crockpot, so that all the meat is coated in the zippy tangy glaze).
OR
Wrap in foil and bake in a 300* oven for 4 hours.

No comments: