Sunday, September 6, 2009

Celeste Update

Submitted by Michelle

It has been 2 weeks since Celeste's spine surgery and many people have been asking for an update. I am happy to report that she is doing amazingly well.

The surgery itself was a big success. Her surgeon was able to make minimal incisions to get all the hardware in her back and she did not need a blood transfusion which is normally the case. The surgery took about 4 hours and I was able to see Celeste immediately after while she was in recovery. She wasn't doing much talking but she was able to tell me that she had lost one of her front teeth during the surgery and the other was barely hanging on. (By the next day she had wiggled it all the way out. ) The good news is the tooth fairy was able to find Celeste at Loma Linda, though it took a couple of days.

Celeste was in the hospital for 4 days and I visited daily. Though she had an epidural for pain she was very stiff and not wanting to move around at all. Celeste is normally a very sweet and patient child but the hospital brings out a whole other side of her. She did lots of yelling at me and her parents and the nurses in regards to not wanting to eat or drink or move around. It was funny to see her be verbally abusive when that is not her typical demeanor.

Now that Celeste is home she is doing extremely well. She is able to sit up all day long and she is even scooting from room to room in her house. She is off her pain medication and says her back feels much better than it did prior to the surgery. I am doing her home teaching as she is not able to go back to school yet so I see her on a regular basis. Though she does have to wear a brace during the day to support her back and protect her in case she were to fall, she is able to take it off to sleep or bathe and she will be able to go swimming and do all the fun stuff she missed out on when she had a body cast.
Thanks to all of you for holding good thoughts and keeping Celeste in your prayers. I'm hoping that some day soon I'll be able to write a blog about her walking. I know that with the support and prayers of the Front Row Friends behind her it can happen.

1 comment:

~ Lucy said...

Thanks so much for the update. I'm very happy to hear she's doing so well. Please tell her I said hello!!